Senior Finance Analyst
At Pearson, we’re committed to a world that’s always learning and to our talented team who makes it all possible. From bringing lectures vividly to life to turning textbooks into laptop lessons, we are always re-examining the way people learn best, whether it’s one child in our own backyard or an education community across the globe. We are bold thinkers and standout innovators who motivate each other to explore new frontiers in an environment that supports and inspires us to always be better. By pushing the boundaries of technology — and each other to surpass these boundaries — we create seeds of learning that become the catalyst for the world’s innovations, personal and global, large and small.
We are recruiting this role within Pearson Finance Services to support the provision of a consolidated view of financial business performance and planning to business partnering teams across Pearson. This role will prepare and deliver financial planning and analysis to business areas enabling effective business decision making. This role will also be expected to contribute to aspects of the budgeting and forecasting cycle.
To undertake this role the following will be required:
- Complete all deliverables in a timely, efficient and accurate manner
- Understand data sources and data flows and how financial and non-financial data is presented
- Apply judgment and analytical skills to ensure the accuracy and relevance of outputs needed by the business
- Contribute to team effort and assist co-workers across PFS and all business divisions as needed to enable effective delivery.
- Help to create a work atmosphere conducive to collaborative working
- Maintain customer satisfaction by promptly following up on customers’ requests for information
- Ensure performance targets are met and service is delivered to end users as expected
- Identify opportunities for continuous process improvement and innovative solutions and communicating these to the Managers
- Effectively manage ad hoc queries, owning resolution as required
- Planning, Budgeting and Forecasting:
- Support the Annual Strategic Planning process as required through preparation of analyses, sales and margin plans and other requested supporting information, to enable collation of the plan and preparation of the slide decks and submission packs.
- Support the Annual Operating Plan process and the Quarterly Forecasting Process through preparation of templates to be used by the BPM’s/Business, pre-populating where relevant for example with compensation plans, capitalisation rates and third party spend. Support the BPM in the preparation of slide deck presentations, completion of the group submission pack and other analysis as required.
- Work with the Business to compile data to be included in the Strategic, Operating and Forecast Plans
- Review and reconcile monthly rolling forecast packs for the Divisional VPs/FD’s and provide analysis and commentary
- Review of financial data during the month in order to provide timely corrections and to highlight to the BPM any issues arising
- Cost center management to include month end preparation (review of journals, invoice coding, results analysis)
- Prepare, review and approve where relevant transactions through the intercompany PICASSO/TEP system.
- Prepare key senior management reporting packs for supporting decision making. Monthly and quarterly consolidation of management information packs across business areas and roll up to group level showing performance against budget, forecast & prior year
- Business financial analysis with provision of insightful commentary along with ad-hoc analysis / reporting as required across normal month, quarter and year end processes to support decision making. For example; sales analysis, product profitability, cost of sales analysis, customer and product mix, overheads and restructuring analysis. Working with the Business to resolve accounting queries
- Preparation of Business Cases utilising Pearson Approved documentation along with workings files relevant to the business case. Support on collating the required data inputs for costs and benefit workings.
- Analyse major risks & opportunities and provide commentary for the BPM and Business
- Liaise with centres of expertise as relevant and leverage internal knowledge within PFS
- Champion continuous improvement within PFS, to deliver tangible benefits and engage in wider standardisation and streamlining initiatives
Pearson is an equal opportunities employer. We do not discriminate against employees or job applicants and select the best person for each job based on relevant skills and experience.
We are also committed to building an accurate picture of the make-up of the workforce and encouraging equality and diversity.
The information you provide will stay confidential, and be stored securely. It will not be seen by those involved in making decisions as part of the recruitment process.
Mandatory skills / capabilities:
- Technical Skills: significant experience of planning, budgeting and forecasting and producing management information for decision making in a complex commercial environment. Ability to apply a range of budgeting and forecasting techniques to provide the business with the relevant financial information
- Analytical skills: Well developed analytical/variance analysis skills, proven ability to review and analyse financial data and explain results to senior management. Provide analysis to support decision making, including presenting economic outcomes, identifying key value drivers, benefits, risks and accounting implications
- Strong accounting knowledge – holding a recognised accountancy qualification or equivalent
- Advanced user of Microsoft Office suite, particularly Excel (v-lookups, sum-ifs, pivot tables etc.)
- Strong verbal and written communication skills and the ability to effectively communicate with both finance and non-finance professionals
- Experience of finance ERP systems (Oracle preferred but not essential)
- A self-starter who is motivated to work under own initiative when required demonstrating initiative and sound judgement;
- Ability to work as part of a team, identifying and providing support to colleagues
- Ability to work to strict deadlines and to be able to prioritise to meet those deadlines
Desirable skills / capabilities
- Experience working with and partnering and presenting to senior stakeholders in multiple geographical locations and time zones;
- Commercial focus, and the ability to apply business acumen to innovate, solve problems and achieve results;
- Ability to multi-task; coordinating the delivery of multiple priorities in parallel across disparate teams and locations
Primary Location: GB-GB-Belfast
Work Locations: GB-Belfast-Millennium House Millennium House, 1st Floor Great Victoria Street Belfast BT2 7AQ
Employee Status: Regular Employee
Job Type: Standard
Shift: Day Job
Job Posting: Nov 22, 2018
Job Unposting: Ongoing
Schedule: Full-time Regular
Req ID: 1815380
Pearson is an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer and a member of E-Verify. All qualified applicants, including minorities, women, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply.