Senior Finance Analyst – UK Reporting
At Pearson, we’re committed to a world that’s always learning and to our talented team who makes it all possible. From bringing lectures vividly to life to turning textbooks into laptop lessons, we are always re-examining the way people learn best, whether it’s one child in our own backyard or an education community across the globe. We are bold thinkers and standout innovators who motivate each other to explore new frontiers in an environment that supports and inspires us to always be better. By pushing the boundaries of technology — and each other to surpass these boundaries — we create seeds of learning that become the catalyst for the world’s innovations, personal and global, large and small.
The PFS Financial Reporting & Control team is responsible for UK and North America month-end close activities, financial reporting, balance sheet and P&L control. The team is also responsible for end-to-end process control and, where necessary, process redesign and improvement across our UK and offshore teams.
We are currently seeking a qualified Chartered or Certified accountant to join Pearson Finance Services in Belfast as part of the growing Financial Reporting & Control team.With a focus on UK Reporting, the activities of the role include but are not limited to:
- Lead and manage a small team of finance analysts, providing on-going guidance, leadership and support;
- Oversee the preparation of statutory financial statements for UK entities;
- Play a key role in driving and facilitating the external audit process for UK entities at full and half year;
- Own, coordinate and manage the preparation and review of group consolidation schedules for UK entities at full and half year;
- Oversee iXBRL tagging of statutory financial statements for UK entities;
- Close liaison with the Pearson Corporation tax team;
- Play a leading role in the role out and review of IFRS16 lease accounting requirements for UK entities;
- Quality control of higher risk work undertaken by team members;
- Coordinate and review work delivered by the BPO team;
- Review and approve journals ensuring they maintain relevant and appropriate back up and are correctly coded;
- Prepare ad-hoc analysis / production of reports as requested to support accurate reporting and support business, group and tax decisions;
- Maintenance of an effective system of internal controls including compliance with all internal and external requirements, including ownership of specific SOX controls;
- Maintain stakeholder satisfaction by promptly following up on requests for information;
- Have significant interaction with business units, enabling functions, and auditors;
- Assist with Annual Desktop Procedure (DTP) review and write up for any new processes created or transitioned to BPO;
- Be involved in the delivery of ad-hoc projects and reporting requirements of the wider PFS Financial Reporting & Control team as required;
- Recognise issues, highlight them to relevant colleagues / line manager and take initiative to solve;
- Contribute to team effort and assist co-workers as needed to balance workloads;
- Help to create a working atmosphere conducive to a high degree of integrity and teamwork;
- Identify opportunities for continuous process improvement and innovative solutions and communicate these to the manager;
- Ensure that corporate policies and procedures are consistently applied;
- Take proactive involvement in determining and implementing best practices; and
- Ensure all processes are kept well-documented.
Pearson is an equal opportunities employer. We do not discriminate against employees or job applicants and select the best person for each job based on relevant skills and experience.
We are also committed to building an accurate picture of the make-up of the workforce and encouraging equality and diversity.
The information you provide will stay confidential, and be stored securely. It will not be seen by those involved in making decisions as part of the recruitment process.
The ideal candidate will have sound technical accounting knowledge, excellent communication skills and strong Microsoft Excel skills.
Required skills and qualifications:
- Fully qualified Chartered or Certified accountant;
- Sound knowledge and experience in UK statutory reporting;
- Excellent knowledge of FRS101 and IFRS is preferable;
- Understanding of financial control processes and functions;
- Strong verbal and written communication skills and the ability to effectively communicate with both finance and non-finance professionals;
- A self-starter who is motivated to work under own initiative when required;
- Ability to maintain a strong focus on results and outcomes and prioritise work effectively;
- Experience of successfully leading and managing a small team;
- Advanced user of Microsoft Office suite, particularly Excel (v-lookups, sum-ifs, pivot tables, macros etc.);
- Experience using Oracle and Hyperion systems tools viewed favourably; and,
- Experience in a service delivery environment and strong stakeholder management skills preferable.
Ability to work as part of a team, identifying and providing support to colleagues in exchange for your experience and knowledge, you will be rewarded with a positive team that want to succeed, a competitive compensation package, an outstanding workspace, the flexibility to achieve work/life balance and career development opportunities. This is a permanent, full-time role based in Belfast.
Primary Location: GB-GB-Belfast
Work Locations: GB-Belfast-Millennium House Millennium House, 1st Floor Great Victoria Street Belfast BT2 7AQ
Employee Status: Regular Employee
Job Type: Standard
Shift: Day Job
Job Posting: Mar 28, 2019
Job Unposting: Ongoing
Schedule: Full-time Regular
Req ID: 1901067
Pearson is an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer and a member of E-Verify. All qualified applicants, including minorities, women, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply.