Senior Financial Accountant
At Pearson, we’re committed to a world that’s always learning and to our talented team who makes it all possible. From bringing lectures vividly to life to turning textbooks into laptop lessons, we are always re-examining the way people learn best, whether it’s one child in our own backyard or an education community across the globe. We are bold thinkers and standout innovators who motivate each other to explore new frontiers in an environment that supports and inspires us to always be better. By pushing the boundaries of technology — and each other to surpass these boundaries — we create seeds of learning that become the catalyst for the world’s innovations, personal and global, large and small.
The Pearson Financial Reporting & Control team based in Belfast is responsible for UK and North America month-end close activities, group reporting, balance sheet and P&L control activities.The team is also responsible for end-to-end process control and, where necessary, process redesign and improvement across our UK, North America and offshore BPO teams.
We are currently seeking a motivated and experienced individual to join Pearson in Belfast as a Manager in the growing Financial Reporting & Control team .With a focus on the UK business, the activities of the role include but are not limited to:
- Own and manage the effective review, control and reporting process to produce the monthly and annual results for UK entities, working closely with key divisional managers and UK finance teams
- Manage the on-going delivery of work to and relationships with stakeholders within Pearson, ensuring the continued timeliness and quality of work delivered;
- Manage the day to day activities of the UK Financial Reporting & Control team, including managing operating plans, work schedules and staffing requirements to ensure maximum and minimum coverage levels at all times;
- Lead, inspire and motivate a team of senior and junior finance analysts, providing on-going guidance, leadership, coaching and support;
- Manage the timely and efficient completion of statutory accounts for UK entities;
- Have significant interaction with central UK Financial Control, business units, internal and external auditors;
- Own and manage the delivery of ad-hoc projects and reporting requirements of the wider Financial Reporting & Control team as required;
- Oversee the coordination and quality review of the work delivered to Pearson in Belfast by the offshore BPO team;
- Work closely with the Controls Centre of Excellence to deliver a robust internal controls framework and ensure that controls are tested at recommended intervals;
- Be a role model and representative of theFinancial Reporting & Control team within the Belfast office and wider Pearson business;
- Create a culture of high performance, setting high standards, continually reviewing performance, providing feedback and recognising success and achievements;
- Identify opportunities for continuous process improvement and innovative solutions;
- Maintenance of an effective system of internal controls including compliance with all internal and external requirements;
- Ensure that corporate policies and procedures are consistently applied;
- Take a proactive involvement in determining and implementing best practices; and
- Ensure all processes are kept well-documented.
The ideal candidate will have sound technical accounting knowledge, an effective management style and excellent communication skills.
Required skills and qualifications:
- Qualified Chartered or Certified accountant;
- At least 5 years PQE including experience in a managerial level role
- Experience of working in a global organisation;
- Experience of a client / service delivery environment and managing multiple internal and external stakeholders in order to deliver against requirements;
- Solid knowledge and understanding of the application of FRS101 and IFRS;
- A good understanding of financial control processes and functions – notably RTR;
- Strong verbal and written communication skills and the ability to effectively communicate with both finance and non-finance professionals;
- Ability to multi-task, co-ordinate and take ownership of the delivery of multiple priorities in parallel;
- Experience of successfully leading and managing a medium sized team;
- Advanced user of Microsoft Office suite, particularly Excel (v-lookups, sum-ifs, pivot tables, macros etc.);
- Experience using Oracle and Hyperion systems tools viewed favourably.
Ability to work as part of a team, identifying and providing support to colleagues in exchange for your experience and knowledge, you will be rewarded with a positive team that want to succeed, a competitive compensation package, an outstanding workspace, the flexibility to achieve work/life balance and career development opportunities. This is a permanent, full-time role based in Belfast.
Primary Location: GB-GB-Belfast
Work Locations: GB-Belfast-Millennium House Millennium House, 1st Floor Great Victoria Street Belfast BT2 7AQ
Employee Status: Regular Employee
Job Type: Standard
Shift: Day Job
Job Posting: Oct 24, 2018
Job Unposting: Ongoing
Schedule: Full-time Regular
Req ID: 1814298
Pearson is an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer and a member of E-Verify. All qualified applicants, including minorities, women, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply.