Senior Instructional Designer
Learner at the heart
Pearson is a global education company that helps people around the world to make progress in their lives through learning. With a rich heritage that combines 150 years of experience in publishing with the latest learning technology and digital services, we help people to learn whatever, wherever and however they choose. We are now transforming Pearson to accelerate our activity in digital learning, education services and emerging markets. This will enable us to make a lasting impact in helping to solve some of the most important challenges in global education.
Why we need you
We believe education is a vital force that can empower people, help them to reach their potential and contribute to more connected communities, all around the world. Our strength comes from our outstanding people; our strong relationships in the education world; our expertise in using technology to help people learn; our global footprint and local reach; and our position as a profitable, global company with a unifying sense of purpose.
About the job
This role contributes to the operational and quality assurance aspects of the content development process from handover of final prototype solution by Academic Services to handover of final and complete content (including storyboards, asset briefs, transcripts) to content production, ensuring that the learning design and content quality and treatment is as envisioned and maintained throughout the unit/module and programme development. This role will work with Instructional Designers in all aspects of their work on particular projects, ensuring consistency of approach and the highest quality across units. The Senior Instructional Designer will need to be prepared to script and storyboard themselves where needed.
The role is a potential development opportunity for someone wishing to take the step from Instructional Designer or Content Development Editor to Lead Instructional Designer in the future.
Working closely with the Lead Instructional Designer, the Senior Instructional Designer will collaborate with the content production function to deliver developed content on time, to specification and within budget.
The job description reflects the current priorities of the company. It may need to be configured differently over time if these priorities change.
Experience of working as an instructional designer or content development editor in a university or other higher education establishment, or publisher/online learning company producing online courses for the HE market.
- Strong knowledge of the content development process
- Experience of developing and producing online course materials in a variety of content formats
- Strong ability to work on multiple, complex projects within aggressive timeframes, to multi-task and continually prioritise changing project tasks / deliverables, and meet deadlines
- Solid project planning and management skills
- Ability to build and maintain relationships with external instructional designers to script content to the required standards and according to schedule
- Knowledge and experience with academic Learning Management Systems
- Knowledge of copyright law and experience of the rights & permissions process
- Familiarity with relevant computer programs and course delivery platforms including proficiency in Microsoft Word, Excel and PowerPoint, flowchart mapping (e.g Lucidchart), screen capture software (e.g. Camtasia), off-the-shelf authoring tools (e.g. Articulate) and writing for Virtual Learning Environments (e.g. Blackboard, Moodle, Canvas)
- Strong attention to detail, superior organisational skills, self-direction, and motivation
- Willingness to travel within the UK to client meetings (10%)
Instructional design and documentation
- Create objective-based, engaging storyboards, course components and courses that are aligned with the agreed learning design in the prototype
- Be able to design, develop and review content in a range of off-the-shelf authoring tools (e.g. Articulate, Camtasia etc)
- Produce sound instructional materials in accordance with solid instructional principles, current research, client objectives, and program objectives.
- Produce and update project specific storyboard templates in line with the brief and overall course design.
- Work collaboratively alongside SMEs for modules assigned to translate the raw content into Storyboards in preparation for the online environment.
- Work in conjunction with a strong network of trusted, geographically dispersed freelance instructional designers with the appropriate skill set to script the raw content into Storyboards.
- Ensure quality, standards and schedules are maintained across all projects assigned
- Ensure all courses remain aligned to agreed brief, client needs and, above all, learner outcomes.
- Engage, train, coach and develop Instructional Designers, to include training and reviewing of all storyboards/content to ensure quality and consistency.
- Assist with reviews and future revision of courses
- Ensure content is final and complete for handover to content production team. This includes monitoring and reviewing content for rights & permissions, ensuring that all third party content is appropriately cleared for re-use.
- Provide clear briefs as agreed for all asset creation.
- Maintain version control as content progresses through the development process.
- Liaise with SMEs and university libraries to resolve queries.
- During production, manage the content development review/quality assurance process, collating your own and SMEs feedback
- Documentation : create and share best practice/ detailed process documentation (with input from Head of Digital Delivery & Operations).
- Organisationally Agile Provides context for change to empower others to understand their roles and adapt quickly. Captures and applies lessons learnt so that capabilities are quickly and continuously improved.
- Influence without Authority In working with other parts of Pearson, is open to developing cross-functional processes to achieve shared outcomes. Applies different strategies to convince others to change their opinion or plan and wins support from others for ideas.
- Prioritises and makes Effective Decisions Uses internal and external sources of information to determine costs and benefits of potential actions aligned to organisational goals, prioritising the most appropriate one. Presents clear, evidence-based rationale for decisions taken and solutions proposed.
- Builds Relationships Creates and maintains relationships, internally and externally, to increase simplicity, efficiency and shared success. Proactively supports all functions to create commercially practical and innovative content solutions.
- Outcomes Oriented Continuously assesses and tracks against delivery of outcomes – refining approach as required and sharing learning. Has an in-depth understanding of stakeholder (/ learner / customer / SME) requirements, and works in partnership with them to identify desired outcomes, in order to develop and produce engaging content.
- Continuously Improves Challenges the status quo where opportunities for improvement are identified. Develops ideas for improvements into actionable proposals, demonstrating why and how suggestions result in improvements. Executes and follows through improvement initiatives and continuously changes every aspect of our business for the better.
- Evidence Informed Translates evidence into actionable insights that lead to improvements. Assesses and selects the most appropriate methods, tools and data sources to collect the required evidence that enables decision making. Selects appropriate content tools that support collaboration cross-functionally.
- Commercially Aware Interprets internal / external business challenges and creates commercially practical and innovative improvements to products and services in response. Develops a comprehensive understanding of the competitive landscape to inform operational decision making, create new business and (take advantage of opportunities to) reduce costs or generate growth.
- Digitally Focused Uses insights into digital trends and patterns to inform decision making and to develop profitable products and services. Focuses on providing a more sophisticated, agile, and effective learner experience through digital technology.
- Driven by Customer and Learner Requirements Makes balanced operational and content decisions with profitability and customer/learner outcomes in mind. Takes personal accountability for ensuring that customer and learner insights are used to deliver market leading products and experiences at every touch point.
- Demonstrated decision making and problem solving - through the collection and analysis of available, relevant, and reliable information, knowing who to ask for opinions and input, and acting upon the analysis in a timely and effective manner
- Strong leadership skills , including developing and maintaining constructive and cooperative working relationships with others (both internally and externally). Must possess a consultative approach; easily develop rapport and trust with multiple individuals and personality types.
- Demonstrated knowledge of rights and permissions and global editorial standards, particularly in relation to producing online content (to include accessibility and diversity). Promote understanding amongst team and customers.
- Excellent organisational, time management, prioritisation and planning skills . Expert in managing tight schedules. A demonstrated ability to work independently, managing own time, prioritising effectively and making decisions confidently, quickly and thoughtfully. Strong ability to work on multiple, complex projects within aggressive timeframes, to multi-task and continually prioritize changing project tasks
- Outstanding written and verbal communication skills ; must be a direct, articulate and thoughtful communicator
Pearson is an equal opportunities employer. We do not discriminate against employees or job applicants and select the best person for each job based on relevant skills and experience.
We are also committed to building an accurate picture of the make-up of the workforce and encouraging equality and diversity.
The information you provide will stay confidential, and be stored securely. It will not be seen by those involved in making decisions as part of the recruitment process.
Education, qualification and training
● Graduate calibre
- Experience working as an instructional designer or content development editor in a university or other higher education establishment, or publisher/online learning company producing online courses for the HE market.
- Background in education and an understanding of the relationship between learning outcomes, content and assessment.
- Knowledge of the content development process.
- Strong ability to work on multiple, complex projects within aggressive timeframes, to multi-task and continually prioritize changing project tasks / deliverables, and meet deadlines.
- Solid project planning and management skills.
- Experience working with geographically dispersed teams.
Primary Location: GB-GB-Harlow
Other Locations GB-Devon, GB-Tyne and Wear, GB-West Yorkshire, GB-Gloucestershire, GB-GB-Oxford, GB-Berkshire, GB-East Yorkshire, GB-Buckinghamshire, GB-West Midlands, GB-Hampshire, GB-GB-London, GB-North Yorkshire
Work Locations: GB-Harlow-Kao Park Kao Park Hockham Way Kao Two Harlow CM17 9SR
Job: Learning Delivery
Employee Status: Regular Employee
Job Type: Standard
Shift: Day Job
Job Posting: Jan 24, 2020
Job Unposting: Ongoing
Schedule: Full-time Regular
Req ID: 2001055
Pearson is an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer and a member of E-Verify. All qualified applicants, including minorities, women, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply.