Senior Network Operations Engineer
At Pearson, we’re committed to a world that’s always learning and to our talented team who makes it all possible. From bringing lectures vividly to life to turning textbooks into laptop lessons, we are always re-examining the way people learn best, whether it’s one child in our own backyard or an education community across the globe. We are bold thinkers and standout innovators who motivate each other to explore new frontiers in an environment that supports and inspires us to always be better. By pushing the boundaries of technology — and each other to surpass these boundaries — we create seeds of learning that become the catalyst for the world’s innovations, personal and global, large and small.
Job Summary:Pearson are working towards a major restructure to align all technology towers under a centralized function.
During this time there will be a number of additional business units absorbed by the Global Network Services Operations team, some of which will require extensive work to secure, support, standardize and future proof.
- Respond for mobilisation of the Operations team to deal with infrastructure related Incidents as they arise.
- Assure services are delivered to pre-agreed OLA or SLA.
- Provide a Management escalation point for all infrastructure related issues.
- Provision of effective line management and a cost effective resourcing function for any new service into GNS Operations.
- Provide appropriate leadership and direction in order to set and meet individual and team objectives
- Ensure new services are structured to the centralised operational model for GNS Ops.
- Ensure Incident, Service Requests and Problem queues are maintained in-line with current service offering from GNS Ops.
- Adoption of service deployment activities including identifying and driving best practices for new services, industrialised process and effective use of Operations Command Center (OCC), Incident Management and technical teams.
- Install, configure, and support Cisco LAN, WAN & Wireless infrastructure
- Monitor network to ensure network availability to pre-agreed Service Levels and perform necessary maintenance to support network availability
- To manage performance tuning and capacity planning activities to enhance the performance of network resources
- Perform Move, Additions, Deletion and Changes as necessary in accordance with departmental change policy
- Assists in maintaining the operating system and security software utilised on the network, including the addition of new users to the network and establishment of rights and privileges
- Take appropriate steps to resolve Service Issues as and when they occur
- Ensure that the Physical Network Environment meets at least the minimum operations criteria
- Perform Project tasks to support the Project Team (on request)
- Raise and execute Change Records in accordance with departmental change policy
- Input into the Incident/Problem Management Process as appropriate
- Ensure the Physical Security of the environment
- Perform all hands-on tasks associated with supporting a Network Environment
- Up to 30% travel may be required
- Participation in the On-Call Global support rota
- Be conversant with current industry best practice.
- Mentor junior members of Operations team.
Knowledge and Skill Requirements:
- 10 years experience of Voice/Data/Security Networking, within a support environment.
- Extensive comprehensive understanding of Cisco hardware and it’s capabilities.
- Extensive comprehensive understanding of TCP/IP, QoS, BGP, OSPF, DNS, DHCP, EIGRP, Layer 2 and Layer 3 protocols.
- SME with Cisco, Checkpoint, Fortinet, ASA, F5 LTM & GTM solutions.
- Successful track record in a large (40,000 user) Global Enterprise network.
- Proven successful delivery of high-quality, cost-effective infrastructure services in a complex, high-availability environment.
- Proven ability to plan and execute highly complex workload in a pressurised, dynamic environment on time and to budget.
- Knowledge of Pearson’s network and knowledge of Pearson owned businesses.
- SME of Ethernet / Wireless provisioned solutions within an Enterprise Network.
- Exposure to Voice & Video technology and/or IPT Networks an advantage.
- Exposure to configuring and supporting a corporate VC service across a shared networking platform.
- SME Cisco orientated IOS experience working with Routers and Switch platforms.
- Extensive knowledge of cabling media, industry standards and associated interfaces.
- Experience of working with Vendors at an Operational Level.
- Proven ability to physically install Network Components and devices at an enterprise level.
- Ability to work under extreme pressure both within a team environment and as an individual.
- Experience in cloud operations (AWS, Azure and other platforms)
- Experience in a DevOps model
- Experience in SDN and SDWAN.
CISCO - CCNP, CCIE & CCDE
Checkpoint - CCSA or CCSE
Amazon AWSCertified SysOps Administrator,Certified Advanced Networking
- A minimum of Bachelor's Degree or higher although relevant experience will also be taken into consideration
CISCO - CCNP, CCIE & CCDE
Checkpoint - CCSA or CCSE
A Amazon AWS Certified SysOps Administrator,Certified Advanced Networking
A minimum of Bachelor's Degree or higher although relevant experience will also be taken into consideration
Pearson is an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer and a member of E-Verify. All qualified applicants, including minorities, women, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
Primary Location: US-CO-Centennial
Work Locations: US-CO-Centennial-2154 East Commons 2154 East Commons Avenue Centennial 80122
Organization: Technology & Operations
Employee Status: Regular Employee
Job Type: Standard
Shift: On Call
Job Posting: Jan 26, 2018
Job Unposting: Ongoing
Schedule: Full-time Regular
Req ID: 1801520