Senior Network Services Developer
At Pearson, we’re committed to a world that’s always learning and to our talented team who makes it all possible. From bringing lectures vividly to life to turning textbooks into laptop lessons, we are always re-examining the way people learn best, whether it’s one child in our own backyard or an education community across the globe. We are bold thinkers and standout innovators who motivate each other to explore new frontiers in an environment that supports and inspires us to always be better. By pushing the boundaries of technology — and each other to surpass these boundaries — we create seeds of learning that become the catalyst for the world’s innovations, personal and global, large and small.
FUNCTION: To develop and drive optimal running of the network services we offer in the cloud, with a focus on ensuring customer network service is optimised for all apps exposed to Pearson’s learners, whilst improving automation, scale, process improvement, metric collection, security, and visibility of production health and reliability for the network services we offer.
Working as part of a team to develop Pearson’s next generation network services, focusing on overlay network transport services and network services, including DNS, IPAM, DHCP. load balancing and Content Delivery Networking.
To engage in and improve the whole lifecycle of our network services—from inception and design through to deployment, operations and refinement.
To support services before they go live through activities such as system design consulting, developing network orientated software platforms and frameworks, capacity planning and launch reviews.
Maintain services once they are live by supporting operations teams, measuring and monitoring availability, latency and overall system health.
To scale systems sustainably through automation, and evolve systems by pushing for changes that improve reliability and velocity.
Strong focus on application services focused network architecture, including strong knowledge of application stacks, e.g. HTTP, web services and switching of packets at layers 4 through 7 (load balancing)
Work directly with our customers - application developers to help them optimise their applications for efficient use of cloud network and Content Delivery Networking services, with a specific focus on Akamai based Content Delivery Networking and other services such as Kona.
As part of a wider design team drive network architecture design, focusing on upper layers of the network stack: DNS, HTTP, HTTPS, SSL/TLS and how they are used by Pearson’s cloud applications, predominantly hosted in AWS.
Work with application development teams and their management to understand the application strategy and how the network needs to evolve in order to support their needs, covering both natively hosted apps in AWS, as well as containerised micros services hosted Kubernetes managed AWs environment.
To be instrumental in designing cloud centric network services and services to underpin Pearson’s next generation applications
To consider best practice ‘service provider’ mentality for resilience, quality, operability and security for Pearson’s network and network services.
To consider end to end best practices to ensure network services are architected to offer an uptime SLA for availability which is maintained in line with Pearson’s application service requirements
To consider an FCAPS (Fault, Configuration, Accounting, Performance and Security) methodology and ensure embedded into the architecture
To follow a policy of ‘secure by design’ into the Pearson network services estate, maintaining a simple, consolidated, cost effective and manageable network security infrastructure.
To consider network security policies within network strategy and design as provided by CISO and to comply with the requirements of external security audits and recommendations.
Impact on the business
- Driving a DevOps approach
- Focus on automation and tool development
- Driving Pearson’s network strategy aligned to Pearson’s cloud and services strategies
- To be embedded into highly complex projects with high visibility and high impact to Pearson.
- Driving a service based model for all network solutions being delivered, documenting service wrappers for all services delivered
- Ensuring all solutions are embedded into Pearson’s standard network operations processes
- Architectural and strong engineering skills driven both from business and security perspectives to deliver network and network security solutions which are aligned to Pearson’s business needs
- Effective use of interpersonal and communications skills
- Maintaining an established work schedule, for self
- Effectively using organisational and planning skills with attention to detail,technically leading architectural projects
- Working collaboratively with a diverse and multicultural community
- Maintaining confidentiality of work related information and materials
- Establishing and maintaining effective working relationships
- Presenting information to large and small groups.
- Taking into account that security is a key business enabler within Pearson, implement security network strategy, following a policy of “secure by design”
- Demonstrate consideration of the economic aspects of architecture, services and solutions
- Define best practice to converge design & planning processes, methodologies and solutions across Pearson.
- Work with technical experts from Pearson as well as vendors to solve complex issues
- Production of testing and acceptance documentation to prove design standard concepts within a lab environment
- Evaluate new technology solutions working with internal developers and third party vendors (in association with vendor management teams)
- With internal stakeholders, commercial teams and vendor management, drive for globally selected vendors and pricebooks
- Working with CISO, drive security best practice for maintaining availability and integrity of Pearson infrastructure.
- Set best practice to converge/consolidate network, strategy, design & planning processes, methodologies and solutions across Pearson
Customers, Suppliers and Third Parties
- Work and collaborate across application teams, developers, business owners and security
- Where required, work closely with the CISO during the design phase of service delivery to ensure the compliance of the solution to security standards and policy.
- Work closely with application developers to understand their needs, support their development activities and interpret their requirements into network services best practices for application delivery across a global network.
- Work closely with network build and operations teams to ensure seamless delivery of standardised solutions into production
- Where applicable, for network and network security systems and solutions, support the selection of 3rdparty suppliers for the benefit of the Pearson managing the interaction with the supplier (technical requirements, compliance, roadmaps, performance management, etc.) and support commercial team and vendor management teams in negotiations.
- Responsible for adhering to Pearson’s security policies and standards
- Responsible for the continued review of Design standards throughout their lifetime of use.
- Responsible for building relationships on- and off-project with all relevant teams in Pearson
- Responsible for building relationships with wider network and security industry experts, vendors and standardization bodies.
- Participate in strategic planning for the deployment of network technologies and program enhancements
- Participate in hiring and reviewing contractors to be assigned to own projects
- May be expected as times to cross train teams and/or resources on various technologies
- Advise and share experience on complex issues by providing technical guidance to the business in the fields of network services.
Innovation and change
- Evaluate and promote new technology solutions/cloud based services, managing standardization, consolidation and simplicity of the final architecture
- Identify opportunities for the Global Network Engineering Team to add value to the business by identifying network enhancement and optimisation opportunities as well a identifying and resolving network security vulnerabilities prevalent in deployed architecture
- Evangelise best practice in application focused network services solutions and processes.
- Follow change management processes in accordance with Pearsons change management policy
- Act as a technical representative for Network services to all stakeholders, including the customer and Technology management.
- Share designs and design proposals with various team members for review and/or approval
- Document all designs and design proposals on Atlassian Confluence
- 1 - 2 year near term detailed network design in line with strategy
- Budget definition needed to meet strategy
- High level delivery plans
- Presentations to Pearson staff from engineers to leadership
- Requirements Documents
- RFI and RFQ technical documents
- Design concept documents
Pearson is an equal opportunities employer. We do not discriminate against employees or job applicants and select the best person for each job based on relevant skills and experience.
We are also committed to building an accurate picture of the make-up of the workforce and encouraging equality and diversity.
The information you provide will stay confidential, and be stored securely. It will not be seen by those involved in making decisions as part of the recruitment process.
- Proven technical experience in the design and development of network services, including DNS, DHCP, IPAM, Content Delivery Networking, load balancing
- Demonstrable experience in the practices and methods of network strategy and architecture, enterprise architecture and securityarchitecture
- Strong Experience with Akamai Content Delivery Networking Services, their provisioning and use
- Strong knowledge of HTTP and Internet delivered application services
- Knowledge of Linux operating system internals
- Experience with AWS and AWS-provided tools
- Experience with CloudFormation and Terraform scripting
- Practical knowledge of shell scripting and at least one scripting language (Python, Ruby, Perl)
- Experience with systems management tools (Puppet, Chef, Ansible, etc.)
- Knowledge of development methodologies across various technologies
- Experience with continuous integration methodologies and tools
- Ability to develop workable product solutions to address the strategic imperatives of the business.
- System testing skills / methodology
- Track record of practical problem solving, excellent communication, and documentation skills
- University degree or equivalent in network engineering or Computer Science
- Knowledge of various security, software and architecture standards (e.g. SABSA, OWASP, NIST, TOGAF, COBIT etc.)
- Working knowledge of ISO27001/27002
- Familiar withPCI, HIPAA, NIST, GLBA and SOX compliance assessments
- Background understanding of project management skills (methodologies and tools) proven by a successful track record of project delivery.
- Deep understanding of protocols and products in the following areas:
- IT Applications and services
- Data Centre hosting
- Internet services provision
- Load Balancing (L4 - L7 Switching)
- Good understanding of protocols and products in the following areas:
- IP Transport architectures
- TCP/IP, Routing and switching
- Network Security infrastructure, including Firewall, proxy, IPS, Management plan security controls, infrastructure hardening, DDOS Protection
- IT Applications and services
Primary Location: GB-GB-London
Work Locations: GB-London-80 Strand 80 Strand London WC2R 0RL
Organization: Technology & Operations
Employee Status: Regular Employee
Job Type: Standard
Shift: Day Job
Job Posting: Dec 4, 2018
Job Unposting: Ongoing
Schedule: Full-time Regular
Req ID: 1815900
Pearson is an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer and a member of E-Verify. All qualified applicants, including minorities, women, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply.