The Senior Project Engineer has primary responsibility for delivering assigned projects by effectively executing projects that enhance or expand existing refinery assets. This position manages multiple projects that can be designed via in-house engineering or through external consultants and implemented through construction contracts. As the leader of assigned project teams, the Senior Project Engineer assures that safety, quality, cost and schedule performance requirements are met so these assets are safe, environmentally sound, operable, reliable and maintainable. This summary is meant to provide an overview of the position and does not include every task that might be required in the performance of the job.
- Lead the scope definition, funding, permitting, design, procurement, construction, commissioning, and start-up for assigned projects by utilizing the stage-gate Capital Value Process (CVP). Ensure that all critical elements of front end loading (FEL) principles are applied to support good decision making and project execution.
- Act as primary interface with customer and is responsible for all communication, reviews, and issue resolution. Proactively work with relevant departments to take corrective action and achieve mutually agreeable solutions to problems.
- Operate an effective project control system that accurately measures, monitors, and reports progress against key performance indicators.
- Work collaboratively with Gatekeepers, Sponsors, Asset Teams and other groups to ensure that project definition and milestones are established and managed according to principles of Capital Value Process (CVP).
- Work collaboratively with Operations, Inspection, Reliability and Maintenance Teams to utilize appropriate technical resources for design and installation support. Ensure that all new equipment meets the goals of safe operations and long-term reliability and maintainability.
- Plan and coordinate peer reviews, safety reviews (MOC, HAZOP, PHSSERs), QA/QC compliance, and other assurance activities.
- Apply relevant BP Technical Practices and appropriate industry engineering specifications, standards, procedures and regulations to all jobs.
- Coordinate pertinent projects with the Turnaround (TAR) Team to understand expectations for deliverables required to plan and execute project work during Turnaround events, and to coordinate Pre-TAR and Post-TAR work activities.
- Ensure commissioning deliverables are met from a project management perspective.
- Update all relevant drawings and documentation and provide information according to refinery practices in a timely manner to ensure that relevant training information is updated and communicated to the appropriate personnel.
- Participate as a member of the Plant Emergency Operating Procedures (EOP) team.
- Required Education: Bachelor of Science Degree in an applicable Engineering discipline
- Required Experience: Minimum of seven years of relevant experience