Senior Qualification Manager, (Non Core)
- To maintain a deep understanding of customer needs and market dynamics in a subject/s, to create compelling propositions and inform market-winning product development.
- To lead subject strategy, with support of head of and in partnership with broader portfolio - including forecasting for the subject / portfolio.
- To maintain a deep understanding of teaching, learning and assessment in a subject/s, through close and continuous liaison with a range of subject stakeholders.
- To represent and build Pearson’s subject profile for given subject with external stakeholders.
- To lead, facilitate and support effective collaboration of subject team with other functions.
- To identify and support a best-in-class customer experience through the events, free surround and additional services that we provide at launch and throughout the lifecycle, continually improving that experience in a subject/s.
- To scope, design and develop qualifications and sample assessments that inspire teachers, engage learners and enable progression.
- Where required, to lead and manage a small number of direct reports to deliver strategy, qualifications, support and outstanding customer support and to contribute to achieving growth targets.
- To contribute to the overall strategy for growth of our academic qualifications portfolio.
- For key subjects (including English, Maths, Science, MFL and Humanities), to provide deep subject expertise to build the strength of our subject leadership, strategy and implementation. Ensure subject voice is represented in all role accountabilities. Subject specialism is required for the key subjects. (Flexibility and potential to work across broader subjects where specialism is not required also remains a requirement of the role.)
- Lead subject strategy development and implementation; lead innovation within subject strategy, propositions and services/support
- Develop winning subject strategy - with clear implementation plans
- Manage qualifications through their lifecycle, working with the subject Head of to make well-timed decisions about withdrawal, extension, redevelopment, new market entry and strategies for mid-cycle growth
- Develop winning subject propositions (at launch and mid-cycle), with clear USPs
- Based on research and clear articulation of customer needs, identify and implement / facilitate implementation of innovations to enhance our offer and services to customers and to build competitive advantage
- Track, analyse and respond to competitor activity
- Manage budgets, forecasting revenues
- Generate and lead compelling business cases for qualifications at different stages of the product life cycle
- Manage opex and capex budgets for given qualifications
- Compile one- and three-year forecasts for subject/s as part of our annual planning cycle.
- Lead and manage Product Managers / Product Developers
- Where required, lead and line manage one or more Product Managers / Product Developers, to achieve the overall GQ strategy and subject strategy; includes setting priorities and specific projects.
- Support development and effective working of direct reports.
- Ensure deliverables as a team are to time, cost and quality - and in line with overall subject / portfolio strategy.
- With support, recruit into team as required.
- Develop and maintain subject and market insight
- Develop and maintain an in-depth evidence base of learner needs in each subject through a continuous programme of research with teachers, stakeholders and learners themselves
- Develop and maintain an in-depth evidence base of teacher/centre needs and behaviours in each subject, including teacher needs and behaviours at a subject level in international markets
- Develop and maintain relationships with subject stakeholders throughout the life of a qualification, to build an evidence base for criteria/AO drafting, qualification developments and annual reviews through the lifecycle
- Develop and maintain insight into best practice (pedagogy, assessment) at subject level.
- Brief, develop and launch new qualifications
- Create models and co-create design plans for qualifications that draw from a strong, research-driven evidence base, and deliver the strategy and proposition agreed (for both UK and international markets where appropriate) - working in close collaboration with the broader subject portfolio team and GQ Development team.
- Lead qualification developments through the writing, submission and resubmission process (e.g. helping to source and brief writers, reviewing materials, ongoing content research and development) to ensure they are fully in line with teacher, learner and Ofqual / regulatory requirements and our strategy
- Work with sales and marketing colleagues to devise and implement an effective data-driven campaign strategy and customer journey
- Keep oversight of strategy and planning for customer-facing events and networks; recruit, train and (for non-core subjects) deploy credible specialists.
- Set the vision and design (with the Head of) and supporting Head of on any sign-offs required on qualification content. Provide support for subject portfolio to Head of on their sign-off of qualification content / design.
- Supporting teachers and learners through the lifecycle
- Implement improved monitoring of customer experience at regular points through the lifecycle (from NPS tracking to regular, in-depth qualitative insight)
- Lead subject level work with colleagues across the business to instigate a step-change in the customer experience of our general qualifications, to deliver consistently high satisfaction and retention levels, and to systematically attract new business
- Anticipate and meet customer needs better than our competitors, including ensuring high-quality free surround and support services at launch and throughout the lifecycle as part of a coherent, integrated proposition across free and paid-for (to support both UK and international customers).
- Work effectively in virtual teams with colleagues across Pearson to ensure a positive working culture, in support of Pearson Schools strategy both in the UK and internationally
- Champion a ‘Customer First’ culture within the business, ensuring that all decisions are made with reference to the needs of our customers and learners.
- Experience of working within education sector.
- Experience of working in a regulated environment.
- Understanding of education assessment, practice and policy.
- Knowledge of current education practice and policy
- Flexibility and potential to work across broader subjects where specialism is not required.
- Experience of developing and implementing innovative, winning customer-focused strategies.
- Experience of working effectively in a complex matrix.
- Experience in partnering effectively with sales and marketing teams.
- Experience of working with internal and external stakeholders.
- Financial planning skills - managing forecasts and budgets.
- Knowledge and understanding of assessment techniques and principles.
- Experience of leading and influencing within a matrix.
- Project management.
- Experience of product management of qualifications.
- Experience of qualification design.
- Direct teaching experience.
SKILLS and BEHAVIOURS
- Commercial acumen.
- Customer empathy.
- Entrepreneurial outlook.
- Ability to think strategically.
- Creative thinking and ability to think laterally.
- Can-do attitude.
- Ability to motivate, lead, influence and empower others.
- Excellent collaboration skills.
- Ability to deliver.
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills.
Primary Location: GB-GB-London
Work Locations: GB-London-190 High Holborn 190 High Holborn London WC1V 7BH
Job: Product Management
Employee Status: Regular Employee
Job Type: Standard
Shift: Day Job
Job Posting: Sep 13, 2018
Job Unposting: Oct 13, 2018
Schedule: Full-time Regular
Req ID: 1812858
Pearson is an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer and a member of E-Verify. All qualified applicants, including minorities, women, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply.