The purpose of this role is to initiate, plan and deliver projects focused on research into lubricants and automotive hardware in order to deliver understanding, embryonic product concepts and intellectual property for the fuels and lubricants businesses, with a focus on polymeric additive design and commercialisation. Key stakeholders are the Product Development teams, Marketing and Supply Chain.
- Oversee and execute projects with internal and external partners, such as testing and blending facilities, OEMs, universities and 3rd party consultants, 3rd party manufacturers.
- Design and execute projects related to the investigation of novel compounds/polymers and there application in engine oils. Knowledge of general laboratory operations related to executing organic synthesis and subsequent characterization of materials. Possess practical experience/knowledge of analytical theory and instrumentation such as FTIR, GPC and elemental analysis to enable the carrying out of investigations related to existing and novel chemistries.
- Support commercial manufacture of existing in-house polymeric additives. Troubleshoot and provide solutions to quality issues in manufacturing processes and additive performance.
- On specific projects define work plans for delivery under the guidance of Team Leader or specific project manager. Support and communicate requirements with the various stakeholders.
- Assist in the delivery and management of projects, ensuring execution meets BP's HSSEQ expectations by conducting project work in accordance to GDP 6.5 requirements using the standardised tools provided, and by contributing to the delivery of project objectives against defined milestones and budget. Ensure there are monthly good TMS indicators to keep the project on track and receive quarterly feedback and stakeholder reviews.
- Employ the effective use of design of experiments and seek advice from the expert and advisor community as necessary. Analyse test data and correlate results with lubricant parameters. Coordinate project requirements with analytical, rigs and engine tests as appropriate and ensure materials are available ahead of time for testing with the relevant QA checks in place.
- Modify test plans in consultation with senior team members based on the analysis and interpretation of results.
- Prepare and deliver presentations and communications for projects to internal and external stakeholders.
- Develop and maintain strong collaborative working relationships with internal and external testing facilities by planning and submitting materials for test or computer simulation and evaluation by arranging external testing as required with project manager agreement.
- Understand, with assistance, any Intellectual Property (IP) opportunities or threats which arise from the projects by taking part in the lubricants patent review panel.
Degree or equivalent or higher in Chemistry, Chemical Engineering or other technical discipline.
- Experience in polymer design , organic synthesis and characterisation of compounds
- Have demonstrated the ability to be innovative and solve complex problems related to the characterization of compounds and issues related to process chemistry
- Experience in basic analytical chemistry.
- Project leadership experience and delivery of technology, insights and products within a global, matrixed organisation