Senior Site Reliability Engineer
At Pearson, we’re committed to a world that’s always learning and to our talented team who makes it all possible. From bringing lectures vividly to life to turning textbooks into laptop lessons, we are always re-examining the way people learn best, whether it’s one child in our own backyard or an education community across the globe. We are bold thinkers and standout innovators who motivate each other to explore new frontiers in an environment that supports and inspires us to always be better. By pushing the boundaries of technology — and each other to surpass these boundaries — we create seeds of learning that become the catalyst for the world’s innovations, personal and global, large and small.
The Senior Site Reliability Engineer will be a critical part of a small team focused on ensuring that our critical services are ready and battle tested. This role will require a generalist who can contribute with needs in development, system operations, resiliency testing, security hardening, and performance engineering of specific products. The Senior Site Reliability Engineer should be comfortable with taking on new engineering challenges, defining potential solutions, and implementing designs in a team environment. This position will play an important role in our organization’s evolution towards contemporary application and infrastructure management practices and will be expected to support the team’s growth and learning.
- Provide technical support as a member of the team focused on applying software engineering practices to operations at scale.
- Monitor and report on service level objectives for given applications services. Work with business and product owners to establish, implement and meet key performance indicators.
- Participate in the design and refactoring of applications and infrastructure, with the specific goal of increasing the automation, repeatability, and consistency of operational tasks.
- Create and maintain monitoring technologies and processes that improve the visibility to our applications' performance and business metrics and keep operational workload reasonable.
- Sponsor healthy software development practices – including complying with the chosen software development methodology (Agile, or alternatives), building standards for code reviews, work packaging, etc.
- Persistent testing of application and infrastructure resiliency over a variety of error conditions.
- Partner with security engineers and developing plans and automation to aggressively and safely respond to new risks and vulnerabilities.
- Collaborate with internal teams to ensure that operational development solutions meet business requirements.
- Develop, communicate, and monitor standard processes to promote the long-term health of sustainability and health of operational development tasks.
- Minimum of a Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, Software Engineering, MIS, or other related discipline required. Master's Degree preferred.
- Minimum of 5 years prior SDLC and the Agile software development methodology.
- Minimum of 4 years prior experience with Oracle and MS SQL, DML and DDL scripting.
- Minimum of 4 years prior experience with RHEL/Centos and Ubuntu.
- Minimum of 4 years prior experience working with Restful APIs, using XML and/or JSON.
- Minimum of 3 years prior experience with Windows Servers 2008(R2), 2012(R2) and IIS.
- Minimum of 2 years prior experience with Powershell.
- Minimum of 2 years prior experience with configuration, change and release management tools.
- Familiarity with cloud computing concepts and infrastructure as service offerings, AWS preferred.
- A strong understanding of diverse infrastructure platforms and infrastructure concepts required.
- A strong understanding of the SDLC and the Agile software development methodology required.
- Versatility as demonstrated with troubleshooting diverse sets of hosting technologies (web server platforms, Java application platforms, operating systems, network components, virtualization technologies, database platforms) strongly desired.
- Understanding of general networking concepts and protocols desired.
- Experience in a production environment supporting mission-critical applications required.
- Working in a high pressure environment where priorities often change and need to be addressed rapidly.
- Supporting releases from an agile development team while maintaining production services.
Primary Location: United Kingdom
Organization: Assessments School
Employee Status: Regular Employee
Job Type: Standard
Shift: Day Job
Job Posting: May 23, 2018
Job Unposting: Ongoing
Schedule: Full-time Regular
Req ID: 1807950
Pearson is an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer and a member of E-Verify. All qualified applicants, including minorities, women, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply.