Senior Software Developer
At Pearson, we’re committed to a world that’s always learning and to our talented team who makes it all possible. From bringing lectures vividly to life to turning textbooks into laptop lessons, we are always re-examining the way people learn best, whether it’s one child in our own backyard or an education community across the globe. We are bold thinkers and standout innovators who motivate each other to explore new frontiers in an environment that supports and inspires us to always be better. By pushing the boundaries of technology — and each other to surpass these boundaries — we create seeds of learning that become the catalyst for the world’s innovations, personal and global, large and small.
Pearson is seeking an experienced DevOps engineer to join our center of excellence in Boston and work with the existing team to continue to evolve our devops agenda. The successful candidate will work with modern technologies and frameworks across a variety of applications and platforms delivering solutions that are reliable, performant, efficient and cost effective. Successful candidates must have an expert level understanding of the tools, platforms and technologies used to develop exceptional products.
At Pearson, we’re committed to a world that’s always learning and to our talented team who makes it all possible. From bringing lectures vividly to life to turning textbooks into laptop lessons, we are always reexamining the way people learn best, whether it’s one child in our own backyard or an education community across the globe.
We are bold thinkers and standout innovators who motivate each other to explore new frontiers in an environment that supports and inspires us to always be better. By pushing the boundaries of technology — and each other to surpass these boundaries — we create seeds of learning that become the catalyst for the world’s innovations, personal and global, large and small.
We are interested in hiring strong technology people with a can-do attitude and an interest in our mission of more effective learning and enhancing the student experience. Our work environment is professional, yet relaxed and flexible. Using the latest technologies, you can have a major impact and contribute to our evolution.
● Design and Implement infrastructure as code for various cloud platforms
● Design and Implement monitoring and logging solutions for different technology stacks or container orchestration platforms
● Design and Implement Continuous Delivery solutions and helping customers automate various stages of their deployments and testing processes
● Continuous environment monitoring for application health, performance, and security
● Maintaining a pulse on emerging technologies and discovering hidden opportunities in our environment
● Use technical expertise and experience to evaluate industry technologies and include them in designs as appropriate
● Evolve and drive standards of Operational Excellence
● Ensure redundancy and resilience of infrastructure and services
● Ensure all infrastructure is configuration managed
● Forecast and assess reliability risks
● Master’s or Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, with strong fundamentals and problem solving skills.
● 7 years of progressive DevOps engineering experience
● A self-motivated leader with the ability to mentor team members and drive vision
● Have expert level cloud ops knowledge with at least one provider, AWS preferred
● Expert level experience with Software Configuration Management (SCM) using tools like Ansible, Terraform, Puppet, or Chef
● Strong systems administration skills in both windows and linux
● Experience in automation and the development of automation tools
● Strong background in continuous integration and deployment methodologies/pipelines
● Strong administration of HAproxy, Cassandra, Mongo, Elastic Search, Apache Storm, Redis.
● Strong knowledge of network security and performance
● Solid experience with Kubernetes and containerization
● Bash, Powershell and python scripting
● Database administration background in Cassandra, Postgres, MSSQL, and MySQL
● Experience with Kafka a plus
● Experience in a continuous integration process, employing a CI server, automated unit testing and deployment
● Expert level experience with Git
● Experience with unit testing frameworks such as JUnit, Mockito, TestNG.
Technologies and tools you’ll use and interact with here:
● Linux - Amazon Linux, Ubuntu LTS & RHEL
● Windows - Server 2012 R2, 2016, Core
● Tools - Github, New Relic, TeamCity, Octopus Deploy, Saltstack, OpsGenie, ELK, Terraform, Puppet, Ansible
● Services - Haproxy, Nginx, IIS, Kafka, Zookeeper
● AWS - API Gateway, EC2, RDS, ECS, VPC, Route53, ELB, ALB, Lambda, Elasticache, Cloudfront, Service Catalog, Cloudwatch, CloudFormation, IAM, Certificate Manager, Directory Service, WAF & Shield, SQS, SNS
● Data Stores - Cassandra, Postgres, MySQL, MS SQL, Redis, BigQuery, Hadoop, Elasticsearch, Oracle
● Other - Akamai, Cloudflare, Salesforce.com, wpengine.com
● Languages in use here that you may help support:
Pearson is an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer and a member of E-Verify. All qualified applicants, including minorities, women, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
Primary Location: US-MA-Boston
Other Locations US-AZ-Chandler
Work Locations: US-MA-Boston-501 Boylston 501 Boylston St Boston 02116
Organization: North America
Employee Status: Regular Employee
Job Type: Standard
Shift: Day Job
Job Posting: Feb 9, 2018
Job Unposting: Ongoing
Schedule: Full-time Regular
Req ID: 1802342