The Senior Technical Consultant (STC) is the site subject matter expert for Process Engineering related aspects of their assigned area of accountability. The Senior Technical Consultant works alongside the Process Engineering Teams, Optimization Engineers and other Refinery departments to deliver and improve the site's business plan.
There are 3 STC roles within the Refinery's Process and Optimization Engineering Team. Areas are typically assigned as follows:
- Crude Oil, Crude Distillation and Products
- Hydroprocessing, Hydrocracking and Hydrogen Generation
- Coking, Treatments and Utilities
The STC is expected to develop and maintain in-depth technical knowledge of their area, demonstrate strong leadership abilities and influence technical strategy and priorities at the site. The STC sets the example for excellence in Process Engineering in a Refinery, setting standards for delivery through application of engineering principles to deliver high quality technical outcomes. The STC contributes to the overall leadership of the Refinery Technical Department and is a key contributor in the development and inspiration of Process Engineering talent for Cherry Point.
- Identify and implement ideas and initiatives to continuously reduce safety / reliability risk and improve business performance, particularly for the issues that span multiple units or require involvement by technical resources outside the plant.
- Lead cross functional teams to troubleshoot process plant reliability / performance issues or identify performance improvement opportunities.
- Evaluate complex technical issues and provide clear guidance and recommendations, balancing technical and commercial risks, to support effective decision making.
- As assigned, represent Process Engineering in Operating Area Asset Teams, provide focus and challenge to identify and address unit performance and reliability issues.
- As requested, lead Root Cause Investigations for Process Safety, Availability, Quality and other incidents.
- Develop, maintain and improve feedstock evaluation and import QA processes. Participate in evaluation of new feedstocks, coordinate execution of feedstock import QA activities for intermediate unit feeds and non-routine ad hoc opportunity unit feeds.
- Support abnormal plant operations, start-up and shutdown. Provide input and guidance to assure that Operating procedures are fit for purpose and effectively executed.
Leadership, Engineer Development and Knowledge Transfer
- Aid the Process Engineering Superintendent and Process Engineering Team Leads in identifying Unit Process Engineer developmental needs and in delivering these needs.
- Coach, mentor and train Unit Process Engineers to build technical skill and capability.
- Network with BP Corporate Technical teams, other BP refinery and manufacturing sites and industry groups/networks to leverage resources and share/implement best practices.
- As requested or as opportunities arise, participate in BP CIF (cross site process technology forums) activities and industry technology forums.
- Provide Process Engineering input to ETP/STP (BP technical practice) development, interpretation, compliance and gap assessments.
- Input to Technical department priorities, objectives and strategic direction.
- Support unit turnarounds in area of expertise. Be present in the field, providing technical input and oversight to support Unit Process Engineers
- Participate in turnaround scope development, technology selection (eg. catalyst and column internals), inspection prioritization and operations procedure reviews.
- Support Unit Process Engineers with equipment assessment, identification of mechanical and process integrity issues, recommending repairs as needed.
- Incorporate learning into operating envelope updates, procedures, monitoring programs, and future improvement projects / asset strategies.
Business Development and Projects
- Support development and refresh of assigned area Asset business strategies.
- Input to long term performance improvement ideas and capital investment plans.
- Support project design basis development, option selection, detailed engineering, construction and commissioning as requested in area of expertise.
- Ensure new technology options and industry developments are considered as part of strategy and project development.
- Progress evaluation and implementation of Projects and Initiatives as requested through commercial business management processes.
A minimum of a Bachelor's Degree in Chemical Engineering or Related Degree
A minimum of 10 years refining experience required.