Government Shared Services works across Government to define, implement and realise the Shared Services Strategy. This is a significant role requiring the successful postholder to demonstrate leadership, strong stakeholder management, commercial acumen and communication skills.
Shared Services Delivery (SSD) is the government’s centre of expertise for shared services, with responsibility for driving the delivery of the strategy, as well as oversight of the supplier SSCL, which currently delivers services to five central government departments. We are the centre of expertise working across departments to make it easier for civil servants to use platforms for HR, finance and payroll.
This is an exciting role with opportunities for contact with people at the highest levels of the Civil Service to help deliver the shared services strategy agenda.
Reporting to the Delivery Director and COO, the Deputy Director will play a lead role in working with our shared service provider, SSCL, and departments in reviewing and managing the HR and Finance operational services. The role requires outstanding leadership skills and the successful candidate will have strong interpersonal and negotiating ability, be able to lead teams and act as an advocate for change and continuous improvement. You will need credibility and resilience to engage with and influence those at the most senior levels, along with a very wide range of stakeholders, and be comfortable working with ambiguity.
The post-holder will be an active member of the GBS SMT, challenging and supporting SCS colleagues to strengthen the identity and purpose of the Business Unit by actively listening to all parts of the Group through the coordination of our engagement channels. They will play a convening role across the teams, surfacing difficult issues that require attention and working with colleagues to devise and implement solutions.
The role is crucial in ensuring the Business as Usual activities of the Single Operating Platform (SOP) continues to meet end-user needs, delivers value for money and manages change efficiently and effectively as well as work with customers to effectively manage their off-boarding of the Framework Agreement.
- Ensuring effective management of all the Shared Services contracts with the outsourced provider SSCL to achieve business outcomes, including regular audits of SSCL and successful off-boarding of customers from current contract;
- Managing the range of services taken and ensuring effective service monitoring including Performance Management KPIs and SLAs, issue management and resolution as well as change control with SSCL;
- Representing GBS at Cabinet Office governance groups including those that make decisions pertaining to contract performance, change and improvements across the government landscape;
- Establishing and maintaining appropriate governance to support and drive the shared services agenda;
- Managing complex stakeholder relationships across Government.
- Extensive experience of operating in large scale operational environments, including experience of leading shared services
- Strong commercial skills with experience of managing outsourced/commercial relationships to deliver vital services across a large department or entity and ensuring value for money as well as responsible for regular supplier audit
- Experience of managing and delivering change in a shared services environment, able to operate at pace in a fast-changing complex environment to manage competing priorities effectively
- Expert in Performance management using KPIs, SLAs and how to monitor end-user satisfaction using Net Promoter Score
- Experience of building and maintaining effective and complex stakeholder relationships and networks, including the ability to quickly build quality relationships with an ability to influence at very senior level
- Inspiring leadership, with the ability to build teams and provide direction harnessing the talents of people and creating an inclusive, ambitious, outward-facing and professional work environment
- Very strong organisational, interpersonal and drafting skills.
Desirable skills and experience:
- Understanding of BPO/ERP/System Integration and how to procure these systems
- Understanding of how to on board and off-board customers from Shared Services Contracts.
We'll assess you against these behaviours during the selection process:
Communicating and Influencing
Making Effective Decisions
Delivering at Pace
Managing a Quality Service