Intelligent information is a unique synthesis of human intelligence, industry expertise and innovative technology that provides decision-makers with the knowledge to act, enabling them to make better decisions faster. We deliver this must-have insight to the financial and risk, legal, tax and accounting and media markets, powered by the world's most trusted news organization.
Position: Site Reliability Engineer
The SRE Role
- SREs are engineers with the right mix of knowledge and skills in software engineering (i.e. programming, data structures and algorithms) and systems engineering (i.e. applying scientific principles of experimentation and observation to entire systems to improve reliability, performance and operability).
- We constantly evaluate products and services before and after production releases to prevent, identify and fix problems that impact service availability in deploying, configuring, monitoring, recovering, and scaling.
- We participate in on-call rotations to monitor and support our products and services, taking recovery actions prior to and after disruptions.
- We dedicate at least 50% of our time 'engineering away' problems both, directly and through pairing and coaching our team.
- We work side-by-side with SREs in our team applying software engineering principles to resolve problems impacting service uptime or our operational efficiency.
Our SRE Culture
- To accomplish our mission and continue to build our internal DevOps culture, we embrace and are strong advocates of the CALMS framework.
- We seek to eliminate manual and repetitive operations tasks at every opportunity by exploiting open source tools, contributing to open source projects and building new tools when required.
- We value technical aptitude, innovative thinking and a great learning ability above proficiency with a specific toolset.
Essential Skills and Experience
Required Core Skills for all SREs:
- Systems configuration and administration: Linux
- Analyzing and discovering how all components of a distributed system work together using a broad range of skills and tools.
Desired Skills and Experience:
- Applying an evidence based approach to solving system problems under pressure and in real time to provide the fastest path to service recovery.
- System and software configuration management using tools such as puppet, chef or ansible.
- Cloud technologies and platforms such as AWS or Azure using API or configuration tools.
Skills for SRE Specializations (SRE-SWE and SRE-SE)
- SREs have diverse backgrounds such as software development and systems administration, from which their experience is often biased towards software engineering (SRE-SWE) or systems engineering (SRE-SE). We strongly value the breadth and depth of skills and diversity of thinking this brings to our team.
- While it is likely that no SRE will possess all of the skills on this page we seek candidates who have the required core skills, will master some, and are willing to learn the vast majority.
- Writing code to drive system engineering activity such as system testing, load generation, instrumentation, log analysis, performance monitoring, error simulation and deep discovery of system properties.
- Conducting investigation across any system component and related systems to discover and rectify performance bottlenecks and sources of unreliability.
- Applying scientific principles of experimentation and measurement to system components to identify improvements to the configuration and architecture which improve reliability, performance and operability.
- Network flow analysis and troubleshooting.
- Selection, design and tuning storage systems for reliability and performance.
- Configuring, analyzing and tuning (relational and NoSQL) database systems to improve reliability and performance.
- Configuring and tuning web servers, application containers, message queueing systems and other middleware to improve reliability and performance.
At Thomson Reuters, we believe what we do matters. We are passionate about our work, inspired by the impact it has on our business and our customers. As a team, we believe in winning as one - collaborating to reach shared goals, and developing through challenging and meaningful experiences. With over 50,000 employees in more than 100 countries, we work flexibly across boundaries and realize innovations that help shape industries around the world. Making this happen is a dynamic, evolving process, and we count on each employee to be a catalyst in driving our performance - and their own.
As a global business, we rely on diversity of culture and thought to deliver on our goals. To ensure we can do that, we seek talented, qualified employees in all our operations around the world regardless of race, colour, sex/gender, including pregnancy, gender identity and expression, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, disability, age, marital status, citizen status, veteran status, or any other protected classification under country or local law. Thomson Reuters is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer providing a drug-free workplace.
Intrigued by a challenge as large and fascinating as the world itself? Come join us.
To learn more about what we offer, please visit careers.thomsonreuters.com.
More information about Thomson Reuters can be found on thomsonreuters.com