Software Product Manager - Global Learning Platform
At Pearson, we’re committed to a world that’s always learning and to our talented team who makes it all possible. We are bold thinkers and standout innovators who motivate each other to explore new frontiers in an environment that supports and inspires us to always be better. By pushing the boundaries of technology — and each other to surpass these boundaries — we create seeds of learning that become the catalyst for the world’s innovations, personal and global, large and small.
We seek a Product Manager to join a highly collaborative and fast-moving team dedicated to building the Global Learning Platform (GLP) in support of Pearson’s products. This high-intensity, high-profile initiative demands a great degree of flexibility and willingness to workhands-on to achieve aggressive release targets with significant market and technological potential.
Pearson's Global Learning Platform (GLP) is the EdTech market’s most innovative and bleeding edge platform. The GLP will support future gen digital learning experiences for students of all ages globally with powerful adaptive tools to shape personalized learning experiences for students.
As a Product Manager for the GLP in San Francisco, you will be collocated with a team of engineering leads that have a common goal of successfully executing the GLP. Your role is a new one. While we have a clear starting point, we will ask for your help to support further defining the role. If this sounds exciting, we’d like to hear from you!
High Level Responsibilities
- Create and manage your areas of focus for the GLP backlog, acting as a key product owner for the features and capabilities that you lead.
- Following established guidelines, contribute to and define GLP program backlog for your areas of focus, acting as a key product owner for the features and capabilities that you lead.
- Specify functional requirements and acceptance criteria; craft other documents necessary for implementing the product roadmap.
- Own relationships with partner product teams, including communicating requirements and addressing roadblocks.
- Drive the business level acceptance of capabilities for the GLP.
- Demonstrate proposed ux designs & working software to a large audience of Pearson stakeholders.
- Identify and manage product dependencies within and across partner teams and the likely downstream impacts due to strategic and development decisions.
- Build relationships with partner Product teams, communicating business needs, requirements and addressing roadblocks.
- In conjunction with other team members, identify and manage product dependencies within and across partner teams and the likely downstream impacts.
- Effectively balance the needs of the business with the needs of technology. Collaborate closely with Pearson engineering and architecture to understand and raise trade-off decisions to be made in support of go to market delivery needs.
- Work closely with engineering, architecture, sales, marketing and support to ensure revenue and customer satisfaction goals are met.
- As necessary, assist with beta and pilot programs for early-stage products and samples.
- Contribute to defining processes for this newly formed team.
- Understand the Business: Has working knowledge of Pearson’s digital courseware offerings and how it fits into the digital courseware landscape. Has good working knowledge of specific market opportunity or customer needs and expectations into product tool and component design. Consults with other stakeholders to assess options and determine the most efficient and cost-effective approach to building product capabilities.
- Efficacy: Has working knowledge of innovation within the product platform. Understands efficacy requirements and is able to embed those capabilities when building functional product tools and components.
- Collaboration: Is a highly collaborative colleague that focuses on working with stakeholders within Pearson. Is a member of cross-functional product teams with moderate guidance. Provides input to the team on translating customer and technical requirements into well-engineered, tested and deployed product capabilities. Interfaces, with moderate guidance, with stakeholders to determine feasibility for functional capabilities to meet customer expectations and needs.
- Digital Change Maker: Has working knowledge on how to build and develop product capabilities with the customer experience in mind, based on inputs on customer intelligence from other stakeholders. Part of the team, with moderate guidance, that investigates new approaches for product build based on examining new technology emerging in the market.
- Transformer: Able to identify external or internal obstacles to products delivery or profitability and monitors to ensure that product teams work within parameters of budget.
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent
- Minimum of 1 - 3 years agile software product management experience
- Experience developing new products in the education technology or platforms and/or API services
- Demonstrated success contributing to the definition and building of excellent web-based products and/or native mobile apps
- Experience working with multi-functional project teams and working cross-functionally
- Able to deliver a compelling presentation in front of small groups
- Ability to write a clear, concise technical document
- Outstanding analytical skills and attention to detail
- Highly collaborative nature to lead and thrive in team environments
- Passion for improving the world through education
PREFERRED KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS
- Background in instructional design and/or learning theory related to interactive multimedia
- Experience with JIRA
NOTE: MUST be fully authorized to work in the U.S. No sponsorships or visa transfers.
Pearson is an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer and a member of E-Verify. All qualified applicants, including minorities, women, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
Primary Location: US-CA-San Francisco
Work Locations: US-CA-San Francisco-1255 Battery St 1255 Battery St Suite 220 San Francisco 94111
Job: Product Management
Organization: Global Product
Employee Status: Regular Employee
Job Type: Standard
Shift: Day Job
Job Posting: Jan 26, 2018
Job Unposting: Ongoing
Schedule: Full-time Regular
Req ID: 1801525