The Complex Operations Superintendent leads the Operations Team, whose primary objective is to achieve the safe, compliant, reliable, and optimum operations of their assigned process units. The Complex Operations Superintendent ensures their area; remains compliant with all applicable internal/external regulations and standards, maintains appropriate equipment and process monitoring/maintenance programs, adheres to established procedures and good operating/maintenance practices, participates in development and execution of the refinery operations/optimization plan, develops appropriate long term asset strategic and TAR plans, develops organizational capability within the team and support functions, and fosters a culture where all employees feel included and diversity of the workforce is fully utilized. The Complex Operations Superintendent reports to the Operations Area Manager.
Leadership & Personnel Development
- Accountable for the supervision, development, and performance management of the operations team (Ops Specialist(s) and Compliance and Assurance Coordinator, and Temporary/Special Assignments) including recruiting and succession planning.
- Accountable for ensuring capability of 24-7 Shift Team (Shift Supervisors and Operators) for the complex in coordination with the Shift Team Manager.
- Accountable for the development of the Complex's training and personnel development strategy.
- Accountable for development and achievement of annual business plans in alignment/support of the WBU performance contract and VPP goals.
- Accountable to create and sustain an inclusive team culture of engagement and enrolment, ensuring all hourly and salaried members of the unit team have input and an opportunity contribute to the business.
Safety and Compliance
- Accountable for unit Process Safety and Personnel (BP and contractor) Safety.
- Accountable for compliance with all pertinent environmental regulations, including monitoring and reporting of any variances.
- Accountable for compliance with all internal/external regulatory requirements (HSSE, Process Safety, Management of Change, Mechanical Integrity, Control of Work, Compliance Reporting, Action Item Closure, etc.).
- Accountable for compliance with all applicable process and personnel safety expectations (IM Standard, Engineering Technical Practices, Site Technical Practices, Manual of Safety Procedures, Control of Work, etc.).
- Serves in a defined role in the Incident Response Team (IMT) roster.
- For Units where SIS are installed, serves as the SIS SPA. Accountabilities and responsibilities for this role can be found in Safety Instrumented Systems - Policy and Lifecycle Requirements at Whiting Refinery (WBU GP 30-75-1).8
- Holds delegated authority of the site's Alarm Implementation SPA, held by the Operations Manager, for driving alarm management performance as per Whiting's Alarm Management D-3 Practice.
Unit Operations and Maintenance
- Accountable for development and delivery of an effective equipment and process monitoring and care plan (rounds/duties for Operators and Support Staff, preventative/predictive maintenance, operating envelopes, long term unit health monitoring, etc.).
- Accountable for development and delivery of the annual routine operations and maintenance budgets, variable expense (energy, chemicals, catalyst), and capital projects.
- Accountable for unit reliability/availability, process improvements and customer focus/assistance.
- Accountable for product quality performance of the unit.
- Accountable for Complex TAR life cycle management.
- Accountable for development and delivery of multi year business plans to achieve long term HSSE, operational and financial performance objectives.
- Accountable to ensure Production Plans are optimized, constraints are identified and removed and that availability and utilization of the complex is maximized within the overall optimization of the refinery.
- Accountable for energy efficient operation and the development and execution of plans to improve energy efficiency, reduce EII, and improve operations against energy constraints.
- Accountable to minimize product quality giveaway in all intermediates and finished products.
- Accountable to continuously improve the non-energy variable costs to operate the unit, optimized to maximize net revenue.
- Bachelor of Science in Engineering or equivalent
- 8 to 10+ years of operations experience
- Demonstrated Leadership experience