SVP, Brand & Social Impact
The purpose of the role is to build equity in the Pearson brand through disciplined management of the brand as well as creative, content, campaigns, and strategic social impact programs, in so doing the SVP, Senior Vice President of Brand and Social Impact will contribute to market share gain and profitability for Pearson over the long term. The SVP, Senior Vice President of Brand and Social Impact’s contribution will improve the marketing’s direct connection of marketing to our brand to the business with the optimal use of a multi-million pound marketing budget.
This is a leadership role that which requires strong vision, leadership, and collaboration. Partnership and active stakeholder management is foundational to success in this role. Thriving in an evolving environment, working to drive innovation, and continuous improvement for efficiency and sustainable growth is key.
Reports to the Chief Corporate Affairs and Marketing Officer.
As a member of the GCAM Leadership Team, the SVP of Brand and Social Impact will drive progress against key GCAM strategic priorities; informing GCAM activity with the needs of the business; developing GCAM talent and empowering and equipping colleagues to drive progress towards common goals – a stronger brand and reputation, engaged and energised employees, powerful and effective external government relations, an integrated global focus on key customer groups.
Pearson is an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer and a member of E-Verify. All qualified applicants, including minorities, women, veterans, and people with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
- Provide strategic direction for the Pearson brand, streamlining the portfolio and advising on the integration into effective marketing communications, programs and campaigns.
- Develop a solid understanding, for self and within the team, of our customers, and perpetuate a culture where everything is done by starting from customer insights, and by aiming to maximise the customer experience
- Develop, plan and lead all aspects of brand campaigns based on market trends, competitive analysis, customer profiles and targeting tactics in order to achieve Pearson’s strategic short and long-term sales growth and, market share across all markets
- Monitor and evaluate business performance and make adjustments to branding and respective marketing communications efforts in order to achieve desired business results
- Working with business and sales leads, effectively support the brand implementation of new products feeding into the strategy to grow demand for Pearson products/services
- Collaborate with Marketing, Sales and Product Management teams to ensure brand plans are well-integrated and aligned across Pearson
- Collaborate more broadly with the GCAM Corporate Affairs team to define and implement Marketing and PR strategies
Innovation and Marketing Transformation
- Drive transformation across the branding organisation
- Inject bestpractice, and draw upon own network to bring in new ideas, ways of working,processes and tools, and create a culture of constant learning
- Identify business and customer insights contributing to constant optimisation of efforts to maximise ROI
- Keep the branding organisational structure aligned to the delivery of strategic goals
Social Impact and Sustainability Strategy
- Utilize critical market and competitive research to inform positioning and define target markets and opportunities for social impact
- Lead sustainability and social impact strategy, ensuring focus on objectives and alignment with other internal teams stakeholder groups such as Product and Pearson Affordable Learning Fund
- Identify and encourage opportunities for full social impact portfolio to be better collectively leveraged to achieve greater consistency and impact.
- Monitor and analyse for social impact portfolio against company goals targets, recommending the right course of action for Pearson
- Utilize social impact tactics to contribute to brand positioning.
- Effectively transition Project Literacy to independent entity, with clear strategies to drive alignment to Pearson.
- Establish brand value propositions integrating insights across products and communications and execute across target market segments
- Ensure timely and effective execution of brand programs, content and campaigns
- Ensure timelyand effective execution of brand content and campaigns
- Ensure timely and effective execution of the social impact strategies and programs
- Actively monitor brand marketing results, budgets and revenue forecasts to ensure achievement of goals and forecasts
- Manage all aspects of brand, social impact and campaign planning, budgeting, metrics and reporting, including delivering the annual branding business plan and operating budget
Establish and Maintain Effective Contact with Key Stakeholders
- Work with the Pearson Senior Leadership Team to develop appropriate internal stakeholder relationships across all business units
- Present and report on brand and social impact efforts to ensure activities are monitored, challenged and refined to deliver maximum value
- Work collaboratively with identified external stakeholders to influence and maximise business development and business impact potential
- Contribute and attend national networks of influencers and stakeholders as agreed to support
- Pearson corporate networking
- Establish and maintain effective communication channels with key staff across the whole of Pearson
- to facilitate the opportunity for enhanced connectivity to leverage competitive advantage.
- Establish and implement systems to monitor performance against business targets
- Perform analysis of activities to help optimise budget utilisation, by removing activities that don’t work, and focusing on those that do
- Participate in forecasting plan revenues and re-forecasts and take responsibility for meeting these targets
- Propose budget requirements to achieve objectives and manage to budget and flag and discuss any significant variances or new requirements
- Develop a high performing team utilizing both internal and external (agency and contractor), best-in-class talent
- Coach and mentor senior managers to maximise their performance and potential and facilitate the team as a whole to develop synergy and best practice
- Develop and motivate staff through appropriate levels of mentoring, coaching and monitoring to shape culture, behaviours and competences to support business objectives
- Ensure the team is adequately resourced to deliver its commitments
- Fostering talent within GCAM; working with the GCAM Leadership Team to build systems and culture that promote excellence and build team spirit
- Membership of the GCAM Corporate Affairs & Marketing Leadership Team
Main job dimensions
- Strategic Decision Making: obtaining information and identifying key issues and relationships relevant to achieving a long-range brand & marketing vision and goals; committing to a course of action to accomplish these after developing alternatives based on logical assumptions, facts, available resources, constraints, and organizational values
- Aligning Performance for Success: focusing and guiding others in accomplishing work objectives; setting performance goals; achieving sales targets; creating a learning environment
- Accountability and Ownership: taking ownership for appropriate targets and driving achievement through effective leadership, determination and motivation to succeed
- Innovation: generating innovative solutions in work situations; trying different and novel ways to deal with work problems and opportunities and achievement of revenue
- Building Partnerships: identifying opportunities and taking action to build strategic relationships between one’s area and other teams, departments and organizations to help achieve business goals.
- Communication: clearly conveying information and ideas through a variety of media to individuals and groups in a manner that engages the audience and helps them to understand and retain the message
- Leading Through Results, People and Values: delivering Will deliver results, working effectively with and through others and promote the Pearson values of Brave, Imaginative, Decent and Accountable while. putting the learner at the centre of our purpose - helping people to make progress in their lives through learning.
- Broad Experience – This is a broad senior marketing leadership role.
- You will ideally be Chartered Institute of Marketing CIM qualified and will have held a CMO or VP Marketing role previously and have cross-industry marketing experience across Business-to-Business (B2B) and Business-to-Consumer (B2C) with financial and budget accountability. An understanding of brand and marketing best practice, and experience with social impact, as well as broad industry contacts and the ability to drive positive change are essential.
- You will have held similar senior strategic marketing/branding and/or commercial leadership roles with proven track record and direct responsibility for developing and implementing brand marketing and social impact programs through online and offline media.
- Developing and Leveraging Relationships - You will have a robust network of external relationships which you’re able to flex strategically and openly to accomplish objectives, in addition to a track record of building and sustaining excellent internalrelationships, at all levels, to become a trusted advisor tothe company leadership.
- Communication-You have developed powerful interpersonal skills and are able to use these to
- influence outcomes by communicating with persuasiveness with an engaging and energetic personality. You appreciate the diversity of stakeholder interactions and adapt your style and approach accordingly.
- Effectiveness in Building and Leading Global Teams – In previous roles you have built strong,diverse, global teams and balanced multiple perspectives and talents within these teams. You lead by example and create teams of highly talented individuals with strong combined performance.
- Analytical Skill and Learning Agility – You demonstrate this by taking a systematic, structured view of situations, deconstructing them into their fundamental elements while staying focused on the big picture. In addition, you have the capacity to be open, persuaded by new information, and you are comfortable at exploring areas where there are no right answers.
- Global Perspective – You have significant experience of operating within a truly global environment and are able to demonstrate international cultural agility.
- Business Acumen – Your experience, insight and knowledge mean you are able to understand the long term market potential and translate this into the corporate vision.You have the breadth to anticipate future opportunities and createbranding/communication strategies to address these, delivering flawlessly executed results on high profile strategies. You have experience in delivering marketing transformations in all aspects both digital and offline with relentless focus on ROI.
- Judgment – Youdemonstrate sound thinking in recommending approaches and assessing business risks and you make decisions that balance a variety of factors and considerations whilst always maintaining the integrity of the core values and business strategy. Ability to contribute strategically to a business organisation with a commercial mind set and solid decision making to achieve/exceed targets comes naturally to you.
- Change Management Capability - Demonstrated record of driving change and influencing an organization.
- Brave -resilient – operating under pressure and to tight deadlines
- Accountable -integrity & delivers what is promised;
- Decent –represents Pearson’s values and believes in the company mission, is a trusted confidant to colleagues and external sources
- Imaginative –finds insights to tell Pearson’s story and tells compelling stories simply.
Closing date : Friday 16th February 2018
Primary Location: US-New York
Other Locations US-NJ-Hoboken
Work Locations: US-NJ-Hoboken-221 River 221 River Street Hoboken 07030
Organization: Global Corporate Affairs & Marketing
Employee Status: Regular Employee
Job Type: Standard
Shift: Day Job
Job Posting: May 17, 2018
Job Unposting: Ongoing
Schedule: Full-time Regular
Req ID: 1801507
Pearson is an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer and a member of E-Verify. All qualified applicants, including minorities, women, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply.