BP is looking for talented, innovative and driven individuals to join our team. We support our people to learn and grow in a diverse and challenging environment. We believe that our team is strengthened by diversity. BP is committed to fostering an inclusive environment in which everyone is respected and treated fairly.
There are many aspects of our employees' lives that are important, so we offer benefits to enable work to fit with your life. These benefits can include flexible working options, a generous paid parental leave policy and others.
The Turnaround Engineering Lead (TEL) plays a vital role in the maintenance & reliability initiatives of Toledo Refinery. As part of the Maintenance team, the TEL identifies and designs improvement ideas, and provides mechanical technical support to the refinery as needed. The TEL plays a key role in improving Operations and Reliability performance and is expected to identify, design, implement, and troubleshoot improvement ideas and manage assigned projects. This job description is intended to provide an overview of the position and does not include all the tasks that might be required to provide support for your area job requirements.
- Requires familiarity of and compliance with various practices, codes, standards, EPA and OSHA regulations.
- Requires close networking with Operations, Inspection, Maintenance-Reliability, Process Engineering and Capital Projects to recognize and evaluate improvement initiatives, provide input, and drive decision making with stakeholders.
- Performs technical and economic analysis to justify improvements, quantify benefits, and recommend priorities.
- Provides mechanical technical support to turnaround stakeholders during scope development and execution. This may include assisting Planning and Execution personnel in defining work scope or working with Reliability and Inspection on root cause failure analysis.
- Manages assigned projects, including achievement of objectives in the areas of HSSE, quality, schedule and cost.
- Understands and is compliant with all Control of Work (CoW) and Process Safety policies and procedures.
- Designs, procures, resources and executes assigned projects utilizing and directing consultants and other technical teams in a cost-effective manner. Leads technical team in the preparation of detailed scopes of work and job packages.
- Develops technical scopes of work, material takeoffs, and bid documents to sharpen turnaround scope definition.
- Works closely with Planning and Scheduling to ensure projects are fully planned and scheduled based on accurate priorities. Provides input to Planning on resource requirements, including the need for special skills. Ensures Planning and Scheduling are fully informed of changes with the plan or schedule.
- Fully documents in a timely manner any changes resulting from assigned improvement projects, including drawing updates, equipment updates, parts lists, procedural changes and repair histories. Ensures timely training of appropriate area personnel regarding assigned projects.
- Leads process safety reviews of projects to ensure they are installed in a safe manner consistent with process unit requirements, loss control guidelines, regulatory requirements, industry codes and company practices. Responsible for following the Management of Change (MOC) procedure for all assigned mechanical changes and projects. Participates in HAZOP evaluations.
- Provides technical leadership and guidance in the scope completions process at the close of turnaround execution.
- Conducts post-implementation audits, documents results, and contributes lessons learned in the evaluation of turnaround and project performance.
Required: Bachelor's Degree in Engineering
Preferred: Bachelor's Degree in Mechanical Engineering
Required: Minimum 5 years of relevant experience
For information regarding competency needs for this profile, please search for this job profile in our Refinery Competency Assurance Tool (RCAT):
- Has knowledge and demonstrated project management skills.
- Has familiarity with industry design and construction codes, standards, and regulatory requirements.
- Is competent in reading technical drawings.
- Demonstrated ability to analyze, troubleshoot & problem solve to drive at root cause(s) of problems.
- Ability to quickly and accurately compare similarities and differences to optimize or detect abnormal conditions within the process.
- The ability to multitask while performing job tasks, without being distracted.
- Assist in HAZOPs, MOC's, Incident Investigations, and Job Safety Analysis.
- Identify and assess safety hazards.
- Has specific skills and knowledge of a broad range of refinery equipment, associated maintenance practices and test methods.
- Skilled in conducting an incident investigation and can perform root cause failure analysis.
- Understands the OSHA Process Safety Management (PSM) regulation and is specifically familiar with and can conduct Management of Change (MOC), Process Safety reviews (PSR's), and Hazardous Operations (HAZOP) elements
- Computer Programs-Microsoft Office, Power Point, Excel, Microsoft Outlook, Microsoft Word, and Computerized Maintenance Management System (CMMS).