The primary responsibilities of the Unit Maintenance Engineer (UME) are to provide technical support to the operating units and maintenance craftsmen, to address short-term reliability problems, to participate in root cause failure analysis and to provide turnaround support. The UME will also support the Senior Discipline Engineer/Specialists with the implementation of long term reliability plans and manage small capital and plant expense projects.
- Monitor operation of equipment in assigned areas on a routine basis and address emerging issues.
- Monitor fixed and rotating equipment performance and operation; identify causes of unreliability and propose solutions to meet site goals.
- Provide technical support for all emergency/after-hours work that requires troubleshooting and scope definition.
- Identify cost savings opportunities for assigned areas.
- Perform mechanical design and issue job notes and construction packages for implementation.
- Provide mechanical design review on the Front End Loading stages of Capital Expenditure projects to insure that final product meets site philosophy.
- Manage Plant Expense Projects and small capital projects.
- Participate in formal root cause failure analyses.
- Identify turnaround scope for assigned areas.
- Review/develop scope for critical turnaround jobs.
- Support turnaround field work to ensure quality and compliance with construction packages.
- Support unit startups for critical equipment after major equipment repairs
- Participate in Process Hazard Analysis (PHA) for MOC's and unit revalidations.
- Trend equipment reliability in assigned area.
- Create/revise maintenance procedures, as necessary.
- Adhere to the MOC process for field/shop modifications and operating parameter changes.
- Provide assistance to the Maintenance Hourly Trainer for craft training.
- Assist with training Operation personnel on modifications to equipment.
- Work with Optimization Engineers and Reliability Engineer to reach agreement on causes of unreliability.
- Provide input into the reliability forecast for assigned units to include potential risks to the forecast.
- Work with operations, production planning and maintenance to identify opportunities for implementation of problem solutions.
- Participate in incident investigations.
- Communicate the job scope to Maintenance Job Reps for contract work.
- Complete special projects as requested.
- Understand how the work of the Reliability Team affects the environment. Support your area to minimize impact on the environment. Support the site Environmental Management System (EMS).
- Uphold BP's commitment to health, safety, and security. Support your area to uphold BP's HSSE policy. Support the site Local Operating Management System (LOMS).
- B.S. in Electrical Engineering required.
- Must have excellent communication skills in English
1+ years of experience as a maintenance/reliability engineer in a plant environment
Preferred 3+ years experience