Vice President HR Business Partner
At Pearson, we’re committed to a world that’s always learning and to our talented team who makes it all possible. From bringing lectures vividly to life to turning textbooks into laptop lessons, we are always re-examining the way people learn best, whether it’s one child in our own backyard or an education community across the globe. We are bold thinkers and standout innovators who motivate each other to explore new frontiers in an environment that supports and inspires us to always be better. By pushing the boundaries of technology — and each other to surpass these boundaries — we create seeds of learning that become the catalyst for the world’s innovations, personal and global, large and small.
In this role the HR VP creates, agrees and delivers strategic HR initiatives in addition to designing and executing people and talent strategies. Furthermore they are responsible for driving and delivering long-term sustainable change aligned to the business priorities.
- Understand the commercial, internal and external environment that Pearson operates within including an in depth understanding of the specific functions supported
- Partner with senior management to identify and address the critical needs of the functions and achieve goals that support a long-range HR strategy
- Creates and owns the HR strategic plan in line with the wider functional plan
- Work with leadership team to provide strategic input and business rationale to support complex/large scale employee restructures
- Assess impacts and project manage M&A activity as required
- Ability to work cross functionally to ensure effective provision of HR services for the business area working closely with HR Operations, PPS and the HR hubs to deliver a seamless service
- Partner with the geographic teams to provide efficient and effective HR Hub services to all parts of Pearson ensuring legislative and audit compliance in all geographies and a high level of quality of advice and operational HR
- Partner with the HR CoE’s to ensure the needs of the functions and of Pearson globally are met in program design and delivery
- Willingness to take on global projects within HR working across Pearson, leading virtual teams and contributing to the progress of the whole company
- Provide professional advice and coaching to senior leaders in the business area on the implementation of HR policy and support delivery of employee lifecycle events such as pay review and performance and talent review
- Ensure global policies are delivered locally in an appropriate and legally compliant way. Provide input to global policies, ownership of any localised elements of policy
- Work with leadership team to provide strategic input and business rationales to support complex/large scale employee restructures
- Manage senior level employee relations matters
- Represent Pearson with employee forums, works councils and external bodies as required
- Provides context for change to empower others to understand their roles and adapt quickly.
- Captures and applies lessons learnt so that capabilities are quickly and continuously improved.
Influences without Authority
- In working with other parts of Pearson, is open to developing cross-functional processes to achieve shared outcomes.
- Applies different strategies to convince others to change their opinion or plan and wins support from others for ideas.
- Creates and maintains relationships, internally and externally, to increase simplicity, efficiency and shared success.
- Proactively supports other functions to create commercially practical and innovative solutions.
- Translates evidence into actionable insights that lead to improvements.
- Assesses and selects most appropriate methods, tools and data sources to collect the required evidence that enables decision-making.
- Interprets internal / external business challenges and creates commercially practical and innovative improvements to products and services in response.
- Develops a comprehensive understanding of the competitive landscape to inform operational decision making, create new business and (take advantage of opportunities to) reduce costs or generate growth.
Driven by Customer & Leavers Requirements
- Makes balanced operational decisions with profitability and customer/learner outcomes in mind.
- Takes personal accountability for ensuring that customer and learner insights are used to deliver market leading products and experiences at every touch point.
- Build trusted relationships by being aware of and managing one’s own emotions while at the same time reading, understanding and responding to the emotions of others.
- Resolve highly sensitive and high-profile conflicts to a mutually acceptable solution.
- Combine functional and business insights to provide highly impactful advice and challenge to senior leaders. Act in line with organizational needs, rising above the demands of any one stakeholder or influential group.
- Implement a transformational road map, in conjunction with key stakeholders, with a broad perspective and long-term timelines. Use internal and external benchmark data to provide insight and trend
- Applies talent planning frameworks to identify future talent gaps and identifies actions to fill the gap.
- Analyzes external trends and Pearson strategy to identify future functional and leadership talent requirements.
- Builds bench of talent in leadership and functional specialisms that support the Pearson Strategy
Org Design & Effectiveness
- Applies Pearson principles to define and implement cross-functional processes and interfaces with clear roles and accountabilities to align the organisation.
- Adapts tools and techniques from applicable change management toolkits and external models, to define and manage change projects with operational focus.
- Identifies the people impacts of change and plans communication to address key stakeholder needs through effective media.
- Adapts tools and techniques from the Global Toolkit and external models to lead change projects with strategic focus.
Qualifications & experience
- Significant experience as a senior level HR Business Partner with broad generalist experience.
- HR Center of Expertise experience useful but not essential (Reward, Talent, Operations etc.)
- Experience of providing business unit specific strategic and consultative services to executives and senior managers and creating, leading and delivering the people plan in support of their strategic priorities.
- Experience of creating and owning the talent plan for a functional area
- Experience of leading end to end transformation programmes and leading teams through significant transformation.
- Experience of leading across geographies and global teams and developing people at all levels
- Solid understanding of the legislative and ER environment across multiple markets, proven experience in managing complexity of legal environments while achieving business results
- Proven track record of high performance / service delivery and successful contracting within a matrix environment and within a BP / HR Ops and COE model
- Exceptional senior leader relationship building skills, creative problem solving abilities and demonstrated use of sound judgement
- Role models Pearson values; Brave, Imaginative, Decent, Accountable
Pearson is an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer and a member of E-Verify. All qualified applicants, including minorities, women, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
Primary Location: US-MD-Columbia
Work Locations: US-MD-Columbia-Grantchester Merriweather 10960 Grantchester Way Two Merriweather Columbia 21044
Job: Human Resources
Organization: Human Resources
Employee Status: Regular Employee
Job Type: Standard
Shift: Day Job
Job Posting: Apr 25, 2018
Job Unposting: Ongoing
Schedule: Full-time Regular
Req ID: 1806537
Equal Opportunity Employer Minorities/Women/Protected Veterans/Disabled