Vice President Schools Portfolio
Purpose of the Position
The Schools Portfolio VP will be proactively accountable for creating and executing the Schools business strategy for the following:
- Core and Growth Geos for local national curriculum products, including business and portfolio support for cross geography products;
- School Product Capabilities for global and local use, including the portfolio management of digital platforms, learning apps, content and features. School product design and trends;
- International Curriculum School Courseware portfolio management; and
- Virtual Schooling international expansion.
For all of the above, the VP will be responsible for identifying opportunities, developing and delivering capabilities, products and services and ensuring that through the achievement of scale in local geographies our products have a measurable impact on learning, revenue and market share.
As this role is responsible for all commercial activities (in some cases jointly with geos and in others fully accountable), the VP School Portfolio will hold overall global responsibility to ensure profitable, timely delivery of the Schools Portfolio and is instrumental in leading on the adoption and implementation of consistent and standardised ways of working, procedures, systems and processes
across the portfolio globally.
Core Tasks and Responsibilities
- Define, articulate and implement the product strategy and execution plans for all aspects of the Schools Portfolio based on sound pedagogical theories and principles.
- Develops products and implementation plans which articulate clearly product design and principles for the local teams in market and global Schools team, using the School Pedagogy Framework and deep knowledge about teaching and learning.
- Understands Pearson’s wider digital and blended product strategy, championing, promoting and delivering it (linking content to assessment, powered by technology and services) within the schools and local market teams and holds teams accountable for delivering and promoting the
- full portfolio of products (digital and print) in the market.
- Responsible for defining and delivering the Virtual Schooling Strategy for ambitious global expansion, identifying opportunities and developing products and implementation plans in partnership with the local market teams.
- Responsible for driving excellent customer experience and pricing models to drive growth of the portfolio.
- Develops deep understanding of the needs of the learners and teachers for whom the Product is designed, focus includes enabling improved outcomes.
- Ensures that products within the Schools portfolio meet standards for quality and consistency with respect to content and customer needs.
- Develops global scalable products and enablers across all product segments utilising market insights to ensure that products are competitive in both short and long term, working closely with local market teams and customers.
- Adopts and utilises qualitative and quantitative approach to gaining customer insight and market segment research and uses insights as inputs to portfolio strategy, product and pricing mix.
- Responsible globally for product analysis and investment planning.
- Monitor market analysis & competitor assessment/activities and ensure regular reporting and feedback into strategy, plans & solutions.
- Keep abreast of & monitor reforms & educational trends that may/will have an impact on business goals, vision, mission, and/or reputation. Makes implementable links between educational trends and Schools product strategy.
- Partners with local markets, working closely to understand learner needs, customer insight, go-to-market strategies and competitive environment.
- Collaborate with key stakeholders (PM and CIO) to define and review the capabilities portfolio.
- Responsible for ensuring progression of capabilities through and for monitoring budget and schedules once approved at each stage gate.
- Responsible for creating portfolio implementation plans to execute targeted capabilities centrally and within geographies and supports Product Development to execute implementation plans.
- Regularly speaks at events both internally and externally, increasing Pearson’s visibility in the market as the brand leader
- Lead and build a team of direct reports with strong functional, financial and collaboration capabilities to deliver high performance against the Product Portfolio Strategy.
- Delivers a strong performance against agreed KPIs. Key Relationships
- Work closely with local markets, Digital Product Management, Technology, Production, Efficacyand Research and Portfolio & Planning to implement existing and new capabilities and products
- Educated to degree level or equivalent.
- Knows and understands the Schools sector globally.
- Proven record of defining and successfully executing a long term product and market strategy for revenue growth across markets, in the Schools/K12 sector.
- Experience of digital/blended Courseware product development from concept to delivery.
- Proven record in successful implementation and delivery of projects to scale, time, cost and quality.
- Possesses sound business acumen; remains pragmatic, calm under pressure; results-focused.
- Commercial skills in budgeting and financial management to enable structured decision-making.
- Worked effectively in a heavily cross-functional, fast-paced environment, especially working across geography, product, technology and sales teams.
- Excellent and recognised interpersonal and stakeholder management skills.
Primary Location: GB-GB-London
Work Locations: GB-London-80 Strand 80 Strand London WC2R 0RL
Job: Product Management
Organization: Global Product
Employee Status: Regular Employee
Job Type: Standard
Shift: Day Job
Job Posting: May 21, 2018
Job Unposting: Ongoing
Schedule: Full-time Regular
Req ID: 1806443
Pearson is an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer and a member of E-Verify. All qualified applicants, including minorities, women, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply.