VP Product for AI, ML & Personalization
At Pearson, we’re committed to a world that’s always learning and to our talented team who makes it all possible. From bringing lectures vividly to life to turning textbooks into laptop lessons, we are always re-examining the way people learn best, whether it’s one child in our own backyard or an education community across the globe.We are bold thinkers and standout innovators who motivate each other to explore new frontiers in an environment that supports and inspires us to always be better. By pushing the boundaries of technology — and each other to surpass these boundaries — we create seeds of learning that become the catalyst for the world’s innovations, personal and global, large and small.
The VP, Data Analytics, Data Science and Personalized Learning is an integral part of the overall Product Management group, with the ability to impact Pearson customers globally. This role oversees the product management functions for Personalized Learning and Learner-, Product as well as complimentary data science and analytics R&D functions. The intent of consolidating these currently independent teams is to gain leverage from key resources across the analytics domain and ensure alignment of workstreams that inform product efficacy and drive product innovations across the portfolio.
This key Senior Leadership role will act as a thought leader and subject matter expert on trends and developments in the personalized/ adaptive learning and data science space. In addition to internal leadership responsibilities, this role would also serve as a key expert spokesperson for Personalized Learning, Analytics, Machine Learning, Data Science, and Innovation, representing Pearson in both internal and external audiences. The VP possesses a deep knowledge of analytics and is biased towards data-driven decision making. Reporting to the Managing Director, Global Product Management & Design, this role is integral to the long-term vision and strategy of the organization.
- Accountable for product management and governance of a range of product capabilities in the Personalized Learning and Analytics domain. Acts as subject matter expert, key spokesperson and industry thought leader in this domain with both external and internal audiences.
- Provides central leadership to a team of product managers, data scientists and efficacy analysts utilized for building out an innovative, robust and scalable personalized learning and analytics platform.
- Responsible for establishing standards and protocols for applied data science research, development, design and implementation support to enhance Pearson products, services & processes.
- Provides technical guidance in setting standards for tool/component performance, and translation of technology capabilities into marketable products for Pearson.
- Leads oversight of the translation of market need with recent advances in data-science and computational approaches to business and learning, into enhanced digital products, services and processes.
- Translates Pearson business plans/strategies into Learner-, Product- and Business-analytics, data science & intelligent computing initiatives; develops business plans/roadmaps for research, development, design and implementation activities.
- Works with a broad range of senior stakeholders to plan and implement the evolution of enhancing business value with new personalized learning, analytic and intelligent technologies.
- Establishes Pearson's vision for Personalized Learning at scale and how product management contributes to it.
- Ensures software contributes to marketability of products. Identifies trends and suggests improvements that could lead to market growth. Maintains a thorough understanding of Pearson's financial plans and strategy and provides a compelling vision for how the company can differentiate its offerings in the market through optimal application of intelligent technologies to enhance learning products, services & processes.
- Leads a global efficacy analytics team (located in Poland) to generate actionable insights for product teams based on platform data
- Partners with efficacy leadership in conveying the strategic importance of efficacy within Pearson products.Establishes guidelines for innovation of Personalized Learning and Analytics across categories. Partners with design team to develop efficacy standards for product capability builds. Ensures that capability product teams appropriately incorporate efficacy capabilities and leverage data in capability design.
- Collaborates with cross-functional product teams to lead the design of functional product capabilities within customer standards and expectations. Translates input from stakeholders to technical standards for product build completed either directly or through subordinate team members. Represents the data science and intelligent computing perspective in leadership planning and discussion.Collaborates on setting cross-functional approaches to leveraging analytic and computational innovations to improve products and process.
- Establishes design of product capabilities to meet changing customer experience and needs. Incorporates changing digital and technology trends into component design. Serves as a resource for development teams on emerging trends in technology.
- As an expert for the capability across categories, makes trade-offs for product capability changes or enhancements according to viability and profitability criteria. Contributes to the conceptualization & development of Pearson HE's digital product strategy.Provides expertise and guidance to leadership teams with respect to digital product trends and capabilities, especially with respect to personalized learning, data science and computational intelligence.
- 10 years experience leading an analytics function, ideally in education/ public sector
- Experience developing data science and/or machine learning tools for education, technology, or a related industry
- Master's degree; PhD preferred
- Outstanding communication skills - able to distill complex ideas and deliver them to a wide variety of audiences and stakeholder groups
- Metric / performance-driven
- Strategic, yet with a strong tactical bias for action
- Possesses expertise in developing teams and recruiting external talent while building internal capacity
- A strong coach and mentor, he/she can enlist the talent of others to help meet objectives with sufficient autonomy
- Ability to move quickly – data-driven, relies on facts and analytics in order to make decisions
- Possesses the credibility and gravitas to act as a Pearson spokesperson to a variety of audiences
- Understands and has experience working within a large, matrixed organization
- Values the ideas and input of others, yet able to make decisions independently as necessary
Pearson is an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer and a member of E-Verify. All qualified applicants, including minorities, women, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
Primary Location: US-MA-Boston
Other Locations US-CA-San Jose, US-CO-Centennial, US-NJ-Hoboken, US-CA-San Francisco
Work Locations: US-MA-Boston-501 Boylston 501 Boylston St Boston 02116
Job: Product Management
Organization: Global Product
Employee Status: Regular Employee
Job Type: Standard
Shift: Day Job
Job Posting: Jan 19, 2018
Job Unposting: Ongoing
Schedule: Full-time Regular
Req ID: 1801123